List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of OUR LADY'S CHAPEL Our Lady's Chapel (Site of)
Our Lady's Chapel (Site of)
Our Lady's Chapel (Site of)
Mr John Buchan
Mr Robert Stirling
Origines Parochiales Scotiae
013 [Situation] About 3 Chains East of the Church
This is the place where the Chapel belonging to the Castle of Peebles Once stood. It is said to have been a long narrow building, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and Known by the name Our Lady's Chapel. It was for many years used as a Session house, where the business of the Kirk Session and Presbytery was transacted. It is not Known by whom or at what time it was erected, but it was pulled down at the time the present church began to be a building.

Continued entries/extra info

[Pag]e 28
Town of Peebles -- Sheet 5 Supplementary trace No. 2

" There was a chapel in the burgh dedicated to the Blessed virgin mary
and commonly Known as our Lady's Chapel. It appears to have existed as early
at least as the beginning of the fourteenth century. In the year 1366 it was endowed
by King David II with the grain and fulling mills of Innerleithan their lands and rich
multures. Its advowson seems to have belonged to the bailies of the burgh and its
revenues at the Reformation were reported to be £21..3..8. It was a long narrow
building and stood on the bank of the Eddleston or Peebles Water on the site
which came afterwards to be a part of the High Street of the new town "
Origines Parichiales Scotiae vol [volume]1 p [page] 229

"There was also in Peebles a chapel which had been dedicated to the Virgin Mary and which was usually
called Lady Chapel ". Chalmers Caledonia vol [volume] II. p. [page] 945

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator, NRS - Moderator, eddlerose

  Location information for this page.