Lanarkshire volume 56

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/21/56/1 STRATHAVON Strathaven Strathaven Strathaven Strathavon Strathavon Strathavon Strathaven Strathaven Strathavon Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Johnson's County Map Forrests County Map Chalmers' Caledonia vol. 3. Fullarton's Gazetteer. vol. 1 New Statistical Account. Origins Parrochial Scotiae 023.15 Strathaven sometimes written Strathavon is a small Town in the middle ward of the County of Lanark with a population, according to the census taken in 1851 of 4274, It was made a Burgh of Barony by a charter of James 2nd of Scotland in the year 1450, by this Charter The Inhabitants were granted the privilege of holding a market once a week and a fair on the festival of St Laurence The Martyr and during the Octaves of same. according to tradition the market was held in that part of the Town formerly called the High Causey now called Sandknowe. At the present time there are only two fairs in the year attended. One in April, the other in October. The market is now held on thursday at that part of the town called The Cross. There are the ruins of an Ancient castle in this town belonging to the Duke of Hamilton. In the old part of the town the streets are very narrow and irregularly built. There are seven houses of worship in the town, two belonging to the Established Church, three to the United prebytarians, one to the free church and one to the Morrisonians. There are two schools. the parish school and a school in in connection with the Free Church. There are four Inns and a few public Houses. Most of the Inhabitants are employed in weaving. See description of Parish
OS1/21/56/1 County of Lanark Parish of Avondale Strathavon This District obtained its name from the Celtic Strath, a valley, and Avon, in the British, the Cornish, and Armoric, as well as in ancient Gaulish, signifies a river, a stream. So Strathavon signifies the valley of the Avon. Chalmers' Caledonia
OS1/21/56/2 WILSON'S MONUMENT Wilson's Monument Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This monument was erected after the passing of the reform Bill in memory of James Wilson on the site of the house in which he once resided. It is of freestone about 8 feet high of a pyramidical shape without an inscription. It is situated in an enclosure adjoining the grave-yard in which his body was interred. He was beheaded at Glasgow on the 30th August 1820, for being concerned in the rebellious rising of the Inhabitants of Strathaven which took place in that year. His age was 63 years.
OS1/21/56/2 [Page] 2 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale In Kirk yard Sheet
OS1/21/56/2 Arrow pointing from "In Kirk Yard Sheet" to Description Remarks
OS1/21/56/3 CHURCH [Barn St] Chapel-of-Ease Chapel-of-Ease Chapel-of-Ease Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Chapel is situated near the north end of Barn Street. It is nearby a square and has about 803 settings It is in connection with the Established church. It was built by subsciption and tho a modern building is now seldom used.
OS1/21/56/3 [Page] 3 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale Church
OS1/21/56/3 estab scored out in the Description remarks column
OS1/21/56/4 BARN STREET Barn Street Barn Street Barn Street Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven Gavin Semple Chapelton William Brown Strathaven 023.15 A street situated in the northern part of the Town of Strathaven and extends from Ballgreen to Green Street
OS1/21/56/4 GREEN STREET Green Street Green Street Green Street Mungo Bryson Strathaven Gavin Semple Chapelton William Brown Strathaven 023.15 A street in the Town of Strathaven extending from from Barn Street and Waterside to that part of the Town called the common Green.
OS1/21/56/4 SCHOOL School School Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This school is situated close to the Chapel-of-Ease both of which are in connection with the established church The school is now vacant.
OS1/21/56/4 [Page] 4 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/5 THE WARD The Ward The Ward The Ward Mugo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is a road extending from Waterside to what is called Hole Close
OS1/21/56/5 UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Waterside] U.P. Church U.P. Church U.P. Church Mungo Bryson Roadsurveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Church belongs to the Revd [Reverend] Walter McLay. It is situated in the eastern part of the Town of Strathaven at the north end of Waterside. It has a handsome Spire and Clock. contains about 1087 sittings and was built in 1777.
OS1/21/56/5 WATERSIDE Waterside Waterside Waterside Waterside Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathavon Gavin Semple Chapelton William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is a street in the Town of Strathaven extending from Barn Street and Green Street to the stream called Powmillon
OS1/21/56/5 [Page] 5 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/6 HAMILTON ROAD Hamilton Road Hamilton Road Hamilton Road Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor William Brown Strathaven John Masterton 023.15 A street extending from Barn Street to North Townhead. There are at present but few houses in it.
OS1/21/56/6 [Page] 6 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/7 PIPER ROW Piper Row Piper Row Piper Row Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This name applies to a narrow Street at the north east part of the Town having a row of miserable looking old thatched houses on the west side. It extends from Well Road to North Town-end.
OS1/21/56/7 TOWNHEAD Townhead Townhead Townhead Townhead Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Gavin Semple Chapelton William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Portion of the Town of Strathaven consists of two streets, one extending along the Turnpike Road which leads from Glasgow to Muirkirk for about 8 chains westward from the Common Green The other street extends from the Common Green towards the parish manse for about 7 chains.
OS1/21/56/7 [Page] 7 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/8 HOLE CLOSE Hole Close Hole Close Hole Close Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is a narrow lane extending from the east end of The Ward to Kirk-Yard Street
OS1/21/56/8 KIRK YARD STREET Kirk Yard Street Kirk Yard Street Kirk Yard Street Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Street extends from the East end of Well Road to the gate leading into the Church yard or Burial Ground
OS1/21/56/8 WELL ROAD Well Road Well Road Well Road Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a narrow foot road kept in repair by the parish extending from the north end of Kirk-Yard Street to a point at the north end of Hole Close
OS1/21/56/8 [Page] 8 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/9 ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND Royal Bank of Scotland Royal Bank of Scotland Royal Bank of Scotland Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This building stands in the Common Green. It is used as a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland Mr Robert Wilson is Banker.
OS1/21/56/9 THE COMMON GREEN The Common Green The Common Green The Common Green Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathavon John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is the widest street in the Town of Strathaven. It extends from Townhead in a south east direction for about 5½ chains. It is in this part of the Town cattle stand for sale on fair days.
OS1/21/56/9 WASHING GREEN Washing Green Washing Green Washing Green Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a handsome Green lying between The Common Green and Waterside. The Powmillan runs thro it. It has sheds at the South end for washing and it is used for drying and bleaching clothes by the Inhabitants and is the property of the Traders of Strathaven. There are several stone pillars with [iron rings] standing in the green to which they fasten lines to hang clothes on for drying.
OS1/21/56/9 [Page] 9 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/10 UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Green St] U.P.Church U.P.Church U.P.Church Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Church is situated at the south end of Green street. It originally belonged to the united secession Body. It was erected in 1820 and contains 630 sittings. Stipend £120 with manse and Garden.
OS1/21/56/10 [Page] 10 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/11 MILLERS CLOSE Millers Close Millers Close Millers Close Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a crooked narrow street along which the Powmillan runs it extends from the south end of Waterside to Bullbo.
OS1/21/56/11 [Page] 11 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/11 Kirk Hill is written in the various modes of spelling column, with Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor written in the Authorities for spelling column. Both have been scored out.
OS1/21/56/12 SAND KNOWE Sand-Knowe Sand- Knowe Sand-Knowe Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Street extends from the gate leading into the Grave-Yard to the Turnpike leading from Edinboro to Ayr This was formerly called the High Causey and was the m[ain] place for meal, cheese butter eggs flour wool and sho[e]s
OS1/21/56/12 BULLBO Bullbo Bullbo Bullbo Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a narrow street extending from Sand-Knowe to Pomillan The derivation not known
OS1/21/56/12 [Page] 12 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/12 Part of Sand Knowe Description missing due to binding of the book.
OS1/21/56/13 MARTYR'S GRAVE [two, in churchyard] Martyr's Grave Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 About 60 links West of the N.E. corner of the Churchyard is a Tombstone, with the following inscription "Here lies the Corpses of William Patterson and John Barrie who Vas shot to death for their adhering to the word of God and our covenants, Anno 1685. "Here lys two martyrs severally who fell by Captains Ingells and by bloody Bell. Posterity shall know, theyre shot to death as sacrifices unto Popish wrath". about 60 links south west of this is a Head-stone with the following Inscription "Erected in the year 1792 and renewed. Heare lys the Corps of William Dingwall who was shot in a rancouter at Drumclog June 1679 by bloody Graham of Claverhouse for adhearing to the word of God and scotlands covenanted work of Reformation. This Hero brave who here doth ly Was persecuted by Tyranny Yet to the truth he firmly stood Gainst foes resisting to the blood Himself and the gospel did defend. Till for Christs cause his life did end."
OS1/21/56/13 [Page] 13 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/14 KIRK HILL Kirk Hill Kirk Hill Kirk Hill Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a high Knoll situated near the Grave yard. It commands an excellent view of the Town. near this knoll in the grave yard, once stood the old Parish Church from whic[h] the Hill took its name. There are now no remains of this church.
OS1/21/56/14 MEADOWBANK Meadowbank Meadowbank Meadowbank Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This is a nice cottage occupied by the proprietor Andrew Fleming Cattle-dealer It is situated near Kirk Hil[l]
OS1/21/56/14 [Page] 14 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/14 Some words obscured in the "Descriptive remarks column" due to the book binding.
OS1/21/56/15 ST MARY'S CHURCH (Site of) Site of St Mary's Church Site of St Mary's Church Church Origines Parochiales Scotiae Mr McLuckie - Sexton of Ph [Parish] Ch [Church] New Statistical Accounts 023.15 This old church, dedicated to the Virgin, was beautifully situated over a high bank of the "Powmillon" to the eastward of the Castle. Orig=Par=Scotiae [Origines Parochiales Scotiae] "The parish church formerly stood in the church yard a little to the east of the Castle - New Stat Acct [New Statistical Account] Mr Luckie has pointed out the place where the church formerly stood. He dug up part of the foundations a few years ago at the place where the name is written.
OS1/21/56/15 WOOLLEN MILL Woollen Mill Woollen Mill Woollen Mill William Brown Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is a mill used for Carding wool occupied by Robert Armstrong and the property of the Duke of Hamilton.
OS1/21/56/15 [Page] 15 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/16 WILSON'S GRAVE Wilson's Grave Wilson's Grave Wilson's Grave William Brown Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 In the Grave-yard of Strathaven is the grave of James Wilson, whose resi [residence] once stood not far from his Grave he was beheaded in Glasgow in the year 1820 on the 30th August at the advanced age of 63 for being concerned in a rebellious rising of the Inhabitants of Strathaven in that year.
OS1/21/56/16 [Page] 16 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/16 "resi" [residence] ? word unclear in Descriptive Remarks due to book binding
OS1/21/56/17 BANK OF SCOTLAND Bank-of-Scotland Bank-of-Scotland Bank-of-Scotland John Stuart Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This building stands near the Commercial Inn and is used as a branch of the Bank of Scotland Mr Tennant is Banker.
OS1/21/56/17 COMMERCIAL INN Commercial Inn Commercial Inn Commercial Inn John Stuart occupier William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is an Inn situated in the Common Green occupied by John Stuart and the property a man commonly called Provost Steele.
OS1/21/56/17 KIRK STREET Kirk Street Kirk Street Kirk Street William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven 023.15 This street extends from The Cross in a S.W. direction to the extremity of the Town in that direction. The parish Church is situated in this street.
OS1/21/56/17 tzsschao zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/ zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/ zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/ zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/
OS1/21/56/17 zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/
OS1/21/56/17 zh0mGI tbrsqwkljzes, [url=http://hqxbnhuwwkso.com/]hqxbnhuwwkso[/url], [link=http://gtknyeymsxbx.com/]gtknyeymsxbx[/link], http://uscecyjxpxid.com/
OS1/21/56/18 THE BIG CLOSE The Big Close The Big Close The Big Close William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven. 023.15 This is a short narrow street extending from The Cross to the common Green.
OS1/21/56/18 THE CROSS The Cross The Cross The Cross William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven William Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is the market place in Strathaven and extends from The Big Close to The Pomillan
OS1/21/56/18 THE LITTLE CLOSE The Little Close William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a very narrow street running parrallel to the Big Close and like it extends from The Common Green to The Cross
OS1/21/56/18 [Page] 18 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/19 CASTLE (Remains of) Castle (Ruin) Castle (ruin) Castle (ruin) Castle (Ruin) Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Old Statistical Account. 023.15 A stream called "Pomillan' runs thro' Strathaven. after passing the Turnpike Road leading from Edinboro' to Ayr, it forms a curve From this road and this curve in the Pomillan the ground rises abruptly forming a Knoll of considerable elevation flat at top and semielliptical in shape. On this flat are the remains of an ancient castle of an oblong shape having a circular Tower at the N.W. [North West] corner. The walls were of considerable thickness but the wall on the south side was much thicker than any of the others. The tower stands yet at nearly its original height but the staircase which was in the inside is totally removed. A great portion of the side wall on the north side is yet standing, but little of the end walls remain, and the side wall on the south is taken down and removed except a piece about 10 links long which is yet standing and seems about the original height. Most of the stones, which formed the inside facing of the walls were picked out and removed. The Inhabitants of the Town say the castle was surrounded by a wall. Remains of a wall are visible in two places. It appears from the statistical account that the castle was supposed to be in existence about the middle of the 15th century. Continued in next page.
OS1/21/56/19 [Page] 19 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/19 The "Descriptive Remarks" are continued on OS1/21/56/20
OS1/21/56/20 [Page] 20 and was at that time the property of Andrew Stewart, grandson of Murdoch of Albany In the reign of James 3rd it came into the hands of the Hamilton family in whose possession it still remains. The last member of the Hamilton family who resided in it was, Ann, Duchess of Hamilton, who died in 1716, since then it never received any repairs. It was occupied by Graham of Claverhouse as a place of strength in the time of the Covenanters. Several of the turrets were struck by lightening in the year 1736 and a conciderable part of the roof was blown down by a violent storm in Jan'y 1737, after this, such of the inhabitants of the town as required stones for building were permitted to take them from the castle. This accounts for the present appearance of it.
OS1/21/56/21 CLYDESDALE INN Clydesdale Inn Clydesdale Inn Clydesdale Inn William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This Inn is situated in Barries Close and is the property of the occ [occupier] Mrs Barrie.
OS1/21/56/21 ST ANNE'S WELL St. Anne's Well St. Anne's Well St. Anne's Well Revd. [Reverend] Robert Reid Rae Parish Manse Strathaven Mr William Hamilton Strutherhead Avondale Mr Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a good spring well in the southern part of the Town of Strathaven. It is commonly called Tun's [Tan's?] Well, but, this is but an abbreviation of the name
OS1/21/56/21 GAS WORKS Gas Works Gas Works Gas Works William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 These works are situated in the Southern part of the Town near Trashill [Todshill] and are the property of a Company most of which are Inhabitants of Strathaven
OS1/21/56/21 [Page] 21 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale Examiners comments:- Under Gas Works - Page 1- -- In Sheets on for private houses?
OS1/21/56/22 CORNEYS CLOSE Corneys Close Corneys Close Corneys Close William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a narrow street extending westward from Todshill for about 260 links
OS1/21/56/22 TODSHILL Todshill Todshill Todshill William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This an old and narrow street extending from the Cross to that part of the Town called South Townend It seems the oldest part of the Town of Strathaven.
OS1/21/56/22 GAS CLOSE Gas Close William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson 023.15 This is a narrow street extending westward from Todshill to nearly the Gas Works.
OS1/21/56/22 rbugqhebyeg d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/ d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/ d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/ d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/
OS1/21/56/22 d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/
OS1/21/56/22 d73CHW oomqfdwgvjgg, [url=http://xltmhcxbujtk.com/]xltmhcxbujtk[/url], [link=http://mtoegcixeoec.com/]mtoegcixeoec[/link], http://selpltwmkghx.com/
OS1/21/56/23 BARRIE'S CLOSE Barrie's Close Barrie's Close William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson 023.15 This is a very narrow street extending from an old bridge over Pomillon to The Cross.
OS1/21/56/23 CASTLE TERRACE Castle Terrace Castle terrace Castle Terrace William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a building situated in the north eastern part of the Town of Strathaven near the Castle it is the property of Mr McGowan Millar Strathaven
OS1/21/56/23 MILLHOLM COTTAGE Millholm Cottage William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a handsome cottage on the high bank of Pomillan It is the property of the occupier Doctor Muir.
OS1/21/56/23 [Page] 23 County of Lanark--Parish of [stratha scored out] Avondale
OS1/21/56/24 CHURCH [Kirk St] Church Church Church Willaim Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson 023.15 This is the Parish Church. it is situated in Kirk Street. contains 803 sittings. was erected in 1772. Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Red [Reid] Rae is minister.
OS1/21/56/24 COLLINHILL COTTAGE Collinhill Cottage Collinhill Cottage Collinhill Cottage William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This cottage is situated in Kirk Street is occd. [occupied] by John Barrie and is the property of John Hamilton Muirkirk
OS1/21/56/24 CROFTFOOT COTTAGE Croftfoot Cottage Croftfoot Cottage Croftfoot Cottage William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This cottage is situated in Kirk Street it is occupied by and the property of John Hepburn
OS1/21/56/24 [Page] 24 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/24 In "various modes of spelling column" Croftfoot Cottage was originally written as Crofthead Cottage. "Head" has been changed to "foot" and initialled by (NH)
OS1/21/56/25 DOVE CASTLE Dove Castle Dove Castle Dove Castle William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 Dove Castle consists of two Buildings situated near that part of the Town of Strathaven called South Townend. It is occd. [occupied] by weavers and is the property of John Cochrane Baker Strathaven.
OS1/21/56/25 GOODS BURN Goods Burn Goods Burn Goods Burn William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This is a small stream rising west of the Town. It passes along that part of the Town called South Townend and runs into Pomillan.
OS1/21/56/25 SOUTH TOWNEND South Townend South Townend South Townend William Brown Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven Mungo Bryson Road Surveyor Strathaven 023.15 South Town [end] is that part of the Town of Strathaven lying between the [north - scored out] south end of Todshill and a burn called Goods Burn
OS1/21/56/25 [Page] 25 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale
OS1/21/56/26 AVONDALE INN Avondale Inn Avondale Inn Avondale Inn William Brown Strathaven John Young occupier Mungo Bryson Strathaven 023.15 This Inn is situated in Kirk Street. is occupied by John Young and the property of the Trades of Strathaven
OS1/21/56/26 GOODSBURN Goodsburn Goodsburn Goodsburn William Brown Strathaven Mungo Bryson Strathaven John Masterton Strathaven 023.15 This is a farmhouse situated near a stream of the same name. It is occupied by ?
OS1/21/56/26 SUN INN Sun Inn Sun Inn Sun Inn A. D. Thomson occ [occupier] Mungo Bryson Strathaven William Brown Strathaven 023.15 This Inn is situated in Kirk Street. occupied by A. D. Thomson and the property of Mr Tennant Banker Strathaven.
OS1/21/56/26 [Page] 26 County of Lanark--Parish of Avondale John Bayly B. Major RE [Brigadier Major Royal Engineers] 31 Decr [December] 1858
OS1/21/56/27 [Page] 27 O.S. 321 NAME BOOK. Co. [County] LANARK, TOWN OF STRATHAVON.
OS1/21/56/28 [Page] 28 INDEX Names--Sheet--Plan & No--Page Avondale Inn--23--15.10--26 Barn Street--23--15.5--4 Branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland--23--15.5--4 Bullbo--23--15.5--12 Branch of the Bank of Scotland--23--15.10--17 Barrie's Close--23--15.10--23 Church--23--15.5--3 Commercial Inn--23--15.10--17 Castle (Remains of)--23--15.10--19 Clydesdale Inn--23--15.10--21 Corneys Close--23--15.10--22 Castle Terrace--23--15.10--23 Church--23--15.10--24 Croftfoot Cottage--23--15.10--24 Collinhill Cottage--23--15.10--24 Dove Castle--23--15.10--25 GreenStreet--23--15.5--4 Gas Works--23--15.10--21 Gas Close--23--15.10--22 Goods Burn--23--15.10--25 Goodsburn--23--15.10--26 Hamilton Road--23--15.5--6 Hole Close--23--15.5--8 Kirk Yard Street--23--15.5--8 Kirk Hill--23--15.5--14 Kirk Street--23--15.10--17 Millers Close--23--15.5--11 Martyr's Grave--23--15.5--13 Martyr's Grave--23--15.5--13 Meadowbank--23--15.5--14 Millholm Cottage--23--15.10--23 Piper Row--23--15.5--7 Strathaven--23--15.5--1 School--23--15.5--4 Sand Knowe--23--15.5--12 St Annes Well--23--15.10--21 Site of St Mary's Church--23--15.5--15
OS1/21/56/29 [Page] 29 Names--Sheet--Plan--Page South Townend--23--15.10--25 Sun Inn--23--15.10--26 The Ward--23--15.5--5 Townhead--23--15.5--7 The Common Green--23--15.5--9 The Big Close--23--15.10--18 The Little Close--23--15.10--18 The Cross--23--15.10--18 Todshill--23--15.10--22 U. P. Church--23--15.5--5 U. P. Church--23--15.5--10 Wilson's Monument--23--15.5--2 Waterside--23--15.5--5 Well Road--23--15.5--8 Washing Green--23--15.5--9 Woolen Mill--23--15.5--15 Wilson's Grave--23--15.5--16