Continued entries/extra info

Header: ]Page] 2 Co. Lanark Dalziel Parish Continued :- Hamilton Road, The principal antiquities in this Parish are the Roman Road called Watlin or Watling Street, The remains of a Roman camp on the banks of the Clyde & the old Towerhouse of Dalzell [ell is double underlined], near which is an Ancient Stone Cross. A Roman Bridge on the of the Roman Road , is thought to be of great antiquity. It is over the "South Calder Water". The principal Proprietor in this Parish is Captain Hamilton of Dalzell [ell is double underlined], M.P. whose estate, from which the Parish takes it's name , is now spelled differently both by himself and his Agents, but upon Captain Hamilton's authority it is done more from custom than preference of spelling.

[There is a further note which reads: Note: There is not any portion of the Parish of Dalziel detached within any other Parish; but there is a detached portion of Hamilton Parish contained within the bounds of this Parish]
The present mode of spelling the Parish name seems to be the modern as the Church Records from 1644 ( the oldest in the possesssion of the Parish) to 1797, spell it as Captain Hamilton's Estate is spelt.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Larry mag

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.