Forfar (Angus) volume 79

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info
OS1/14/79/1 STRACATHRO Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro Stracathro New Stat [statistical] Account Old Stat [Statistical] Account Fullarton's Gazetteer Sheriff's Returns Valuation Roll Estate Plans Sir James Campbell Pror. [Proprietor], Memorials of Angus & Mearns Land of the Lindsays County Map 019; 020; 027 "This parish originally consisted of two distinct parishes, Stracathro and Dunlappie which were united in 1612. According to a recent writer Stracathro (Strath-cath-ra.) signifies either "the Battle in the Strath", or "the Valley of the Forts;" and is supposed to have been so called from a battle which was fought in the Neighbourhood, not far from the celebrated hills Caterthun in 1130, between King David & Angus Earl of Moray, grandson of Lulach the son of Gruoch, grand-daughter of Kenneth IV. The name, which is evidently Celtic compound, signifies, according to others, the "Strath or valley where the King fought. Dunlappie (from Dun a hill; and Lappie, water) is very appropriately named. The parish is bounded on the North & North-East by the united parish of Lethnot & Navar; on the North by the parish of Edzell and Kincardineshire; on the East and South-East the parishes of Menmuir & Brechin & on the West by the parish of Logie Pert. New Stat: [Statistical] Account [continued on page 2]
OS1/14/79/1 Page 1
OS1/14/79/2 Stracathro (Continued) [continued from page 1] The only antiquities in the parish are two Tumuli (on plan 27.2), the Site of a very large artificial Cairn (called the Hare Cairn) which is supposed to be the site of a Battle fought in 1452 between the Earls of Crawford & Huntly (plan 27.6) also another Battle fought in 1130, between King David I & Earl of Moray (plan 20.13) There is no portion of this parish detached, nor is there any portion of another parish contained within the boundary of this parish.
OS1/14/79/2 [Page] 2
OS1/14/79/3 PARKLAND Parkland Parkland Parkland Parklands Estate Plans (Earl of Kintores) Valuation Roll Mr. Taylor, Grieve County Map 019 A farm steading formerly the property of the Earl of Kintore, now belonging to Mr. Shepherd, Stretton, Aberdeenshire.
OS1/14/79/3 [Page] 3 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/4 [Page] 4 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/5 THE CLASH The Clash The Clash Estate Plans Mr. Taylor, Eastertown 019 A prominent hollow, through which runs the boundary between the parishes of Stracathro and Menmuir, - It is situated between the "Hill of Lundie" and "Brown Catterthun"
OS1/14/79/5 [Page] 5 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/6 [Page] 6 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/7 TARRYLOCH Tarryloch Tarryloch Tarryloch Estate plan __ Carnegie Esqr. Prop: [Proprietor] Mr. Taylor, Eastertown 019 A small dwelling house on the farm of Eastertown of Dunlappie
OS1/14/79/7 HILL OF LUNDIE Hill of Lundie Hill of Lundie Hill of Lundie Hill of Lundie Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll (for "Lundie") New Stat. [Statistical] Account Mr. Taylor, Eastertown 019 A prominent hill feature forming the North eastern termination of a range which terminates on the South West, in Menmuir Parish, in the "White Catterthun"
OS1/14/79/7 LUNDIE BOG Lundie Bog Authenticated & described in N. [Name] Book of Menmuir Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/7 [Page] 7 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/8 BURNHEAD Burnhead Burnhead Burnhead William Carnegie Esqr. Prop. [Proprietor] Estate Plan Mr. Taylor, Grieve 019 Formerly a farm steading but now occupied by Cottars - workmen on the farm of Eastertown.
OS1/14/79/8 HILLOCKHEAD Hillockhead Hillockhead Hillockhead Valuation Roll Estate Plan Mr. Taylor 019 A row of Cottars' houses on the farm, of "Balhill".
OS1/14/79/8 [Page] 8 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/9 BATTLE fought in this locality between Angus Earl of Moray and King David I A.D. 1130 Battle fought &c. &c. A.D.1130 New Stat. [Statistical] Account Land of the Lindsays Dalrymple's Annals 019 This battle is said to have taken place near the Forts of Catterthun, but in the Parish of Stracathro and the place written on trace is most likely on, or near, the spot where the battle commenced. It extended as far east as "Ballownie" on 27.2, where the Earl of Moray is said to have been killed. The following written authorities are quoted, from which only the site can be fixed. "All historians agree that Angus, Earl of Moray, and five thousand followers were repulsed and routed by David 1st. in 1130 in the contiguous" (writing of Menmuir)" Parish of Stracathro" Jarvise's Land of the Lindsays. "Strathcatherach is the oldest spelling of Stracathro, and, according to the Gaelic 'Strath-cath-re' means the "field of the battle of the kings". Sepulchral remains are found, in great quantity throughout the whole flat of the parish: and on opening, the Re or Rye Hillock, near the Church" (see "Tumulus (site of) " on 27.2) "a few years ago, a carefully constructed stone coffin was found [continued on page 10]
OS1/14/79/9 [Page] 9 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro [Note] "King David 1st. had his attention drawn to an insurrection in Moray, which had for its first object an opposition to his laws & for its ultimate end, the overthrow of his government In 1130, the Earl of Moray & his adherents were defeated after they had penetrated far into the South. David was zealously supported by the martial barons of Northumberland and strengthened thus by their presence. At Stracathro, one of the passes in Forfarshire, he gave them an entire defeat" Chalmer's Caledonia p [page] 621
OS1/14/79/10 Battle Continued [continued from page 9] "found on the top, about two feet below the surface, It contained human remains, and the figure of a fish, which the peasantry say was 'made of gold; and about a finger length', This interesting relic, which was carried off by the workmen and lost, had, perhaps, been part of the armorial ensigns of the person interred, and, as the Earl of Moray was killed here, this may have been the place of his burial" Dalrymple's Annals, as given in a note at foot of page 262 Land of the Lindsays. "Stracathro signifies either "the Battle in the Strath" or "the Valley of the forts", and is supposed to have been so called from a battle which was fought in its neighbourhood, not far from the celebrated hills, Caterthun, in 1130, between King David and Angus Earl of Moray, grandson of Lulach, the son of Gruoch, grand daughter of Kenneth IV" New Stat. [Statistical] Account In the Year 1130, King David 1st. defeated Angus Earl of Moray, in a battle at Stracathro, in which it is said the Earl & nearly all his followers were killed. Quantities of Stone Cists have been found in this neighbourhood & when the Re or Rye Hillock near the Church of Stracathro was being reduced some years ago, a carefully constructed grave was found about 2ft. [feet] below the surface in which were human remains. Memorials of Angus & Mearns p [page] 25
OS1/14/79/10 [Page] 10 Parish of Stracathro -- Co. [County] Forfar
OS1/14/79/11 WOODSIDE Woodside Woodside Woodside Woodside Estate Plan Mr. Taylor Eastertown Mr. Carnegie County Map 019 A dwelling house on the farm of "Westertown of Dunlappie", used as a shooting lodge during the season.
OS1/14/79/11 GARIE BURN Garie Burn 019 Authenticated & described in N. [Name] Book of Menmuir Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/11 [Page] 11 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/12 [Page] 12 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/13 EASTERTOWN OF DUNLAPPIE Eastertown of Dunlappie Eastertown of Dunlappie Eastertown of Dunlappie Eastertown of Dunlappie William Carnegie Prop. [Proprietor] Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll Mr. Taylor, Grieve 020 A large farm steading formerly the property of the Earl of Kintore, now belonging to Mr. Carnegie.
OS1/14/79/13 CHURCH OF DUNLAPPIE Church of Dunlappie (Site of) Rev [Reverend] Mr. Inglis Edzell William Carnegie Esqr. Mr. Taylor New Stat. [Statistical] Account 020 The site, or foundation, of the church is still traceable within the Burial Ground. There have been no interments for upwards of 30 years, so that the ground is quite flat, and no graves can be seen, nor stones to mark their place
OS1/14/79/13 BURIAL GROUND [Church of Dunlappie] Burial Ground Rev [Reverend] Mr. Inglis Edzell William Carnegie Esqr. Mr. Taylor New Stat. [Statistical] Account 020 The site, or foundation, of the church is still traceable within the Burial Ground. There have been no interments for upwards of 30 years, so that the ground is quite flat, and no graves can be seen, nor stones to mark their place
OS1/14/79/13 GLEBE [Church of Dunlappie] Glebe Rev [Reverend] Mr. Inglis Edzell William Carnegie Esqr. Mr. Taylor New Stat. [Statistical] Account 020 "Strickathrow and Dunlappie" (parishes) " were united in 1612.........."There are two glebes attached to the living" (of Stracathro ph [parish]) "that of Dunlappie contains nearly three acres of arable land" New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account]
OS1/14/79/13 [Page] 13 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro Church of Dunlappie [note] "The Church of Dunlappy was in the Diocese of St Andrews & occupied a romantic position on the West bank of the West Water. The parish was suppressed in 1618, & united to Stracathro, and the Kirk stood near the middle of the graveyard. The last burial took place in 1824. but long before that the monuments were carried away and used for hearthstones & flooring in the neighbouring farm houses & cottages" Memorials of Angus & Mearns p [page] 425
OS1/14/79/14 BREWSTON Brewston Brewston Brewston Brewstone William Carnegie, Prop. [Proprietor] Mr. Taylor, Grieve Estate Plan County Map 020 A smithy and cothouses on the farm of "Eastertown of Dunlappie"
OS1/14/79/14 BALHILL Balhill Balhill Ballhill Balhill Ballhill Valuation Roll Bill advertising Tenant's Sale Estate Plan Valuation Roll County Map 020 An inferior farm steading formerly the property of the Earl of Kintore now of John Rennie near Friockheim
OS1/14/79/14 CROWYARDS Crowyards Crowyards Crowyards Estate Plan Mr. Taylor Eastertown County Map 020 A very small dwelling house on the farm of "Balhill"
OS1/14/79/14 [Page] 14 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/15 GREENS Greens Greens Greens Greens Estate Plan Mr. Taylor, Eastertown William Carnegie Esqr. County Map 020 An inferior dwelling house on the farm of "Mill of Dunlappie"
OS1/14/79/15 MILL OF DUNLAPPIE Mill of Dunlappie Mill of Dunlappie Mill of Dunlappie Milton of Dunlappie Estate Plan Mrs. Webster, Tenant Rev. [Reverend] Mr. Inglis, Edzell Val. [Valuation] Roll 020 An extensive farm steading with Corn Mill, formerly the property of the Earl of Kintore, now of Mr. Milnes Myreside, Inverkeillor,
OS1/14/79/15 [Page] 15 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/16 [Page] 16 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/17 OLD SCHOOL [nr Dunlappie] Old School Old School Old School Mr. Cameron, Ph. [Parish] Teacher M McNicoll, Huntlyhill Mr. Taylor Eastertown 020 This school ceased to exist a few years ago, when the Earl of Kintore, its supporter, sold the Estate of Dunlappie. It was long in existence prior to that.
OS1/14/79/17 WESTERTOWN OF DUNLAPPIE Westertown of Dunlappie Westertown of Dunlappie Westertown of Dunlappie Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll Mrs. Fenton, Tenant 020 An extensive farm steading the property of Stewart Leighton, Farmer, Keeny Lochlee
OS1/14/79/17 ROUGHBURN Roughburn Roughburn Roughburn Roughburn Estate Plan William Carnegie Esqr. Mr Taylor, Eastertown County Map 020 A row of Cottars' houses on the farm of "Mill of Dunlappie"
OS1/14/79/17 [Page] 17 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro Old School [note] Omit
OS1/14/79/18 AUCHENREOCH Auchenreoch Auchenreoch Auchenreoch Auchinreoch Muirton D. Black Esqr. Factor David Edwards, Tenant Label on back of Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll Title of Estate Plan 020 A mansion house and farm steading the property of Alexander Gibson Esqr., - "Muirton" - the old name - is now unknown,
OS1/14/79/18 BONNIETOWN Bonnietown Bonnietown Bonnietown Estate Plan Mrs. Webster, Tenant Mr. Taylor Eastertown 020 A row of cottars' houses, now unoccupied, on the farm of Mill of Dunlappie. Near them stands what was once a mill for spinning flax. It has not been used for 25 years.
OS1/14/79/18 OLD SPINNING MILL [Bonnietown] 020 Near them [cottar's houses at Bonnietown] stands what was once a mill for spinning flax. It has not been used for 25 years.
OS1/14/79/18 WITCHES' KIRN Estate Plan of Smiddyhill 020 A curved hollow in the field East of the village of Inchbare adjoining the West Water - rather remarkable [Initialled] JB
OS1/14/79/18 [Page] 18 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/19 INCHBARE Inchbare Inchbare Inchbare Inchbear New Stat. [Statistical] Account Val. [Valuation] Roll D. Black Esqr. Factor County Map 020 A small hamlet on the road from Gannochy Bridge to Brechin - It is principally the property of Alexander Gibson Esqr. of Auchenreoch
OS1/14/79/19 SCHOOL [nr Inchbare] School (Ph. [Parish]) School (Ph. [Parish]) School (Ph. [Parish]) William Cameron Schoolmaster Val. [Valuation] Roll New Stat Acct. [Statistical Account] 020 A good Building the property of the Heritors of the Parish,
OS1/14/79/19 SMIDDYHILL Smiddyhill Smiddyhill Smiddyhill Smithyhill Smiddyhill Messrs. Shiress & Whitson Factors Val. [Valuation] Roll Estate Plan of Auchenreoch Estate Plan of Smithyhill Memorials of Angus & Mearns 020 A superior farm steading the property of John Speid Esqr.
OS1/14/79/19 [Page] 19 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/20 BRAWL'S WELL St Braul's Well St Braul's Well Brawl's Well Dalrymple's Annals Mr. McNicoll, Huntlyhill Estate Plan of Smithyhill 020 A fine, and strong, spring of pure water. In the immediate neighbourhood of the well the name is altogether lost. Mr McNicoll, Teacher, Huntlyhill, however, recollects a very old woman, now dead, speak of it by this name, Though the name has been lost, medicinal properties are still ascribed to it, - "St Braul's Well is in a field adjoining the church, to whom (though nothing is now known of him) the Kirk had likely been dedicated " Dalrymple's Annals in a note at foot of page 262. Land of the Lindsay's
OS1/14/79/20 MANSE [nr Brawl's Well] Manse Manse Manse Rev. [Reverend] Robert Grant William Cameron, P [Parish] Teacher Val. [Valuation] Roll 020 A superior dwelling house the property of the heritors of the parish, and occupied by the parish minister.
OS1/14/79/20 [Page] 20 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro Brawl's Well [note] [Signed] Lt.Col. [Lieutenant Colonel] Bayly R.E. [Royal Engineers] The Spring now issues at the side of the wood and forms the boundary of the Estate of Stracathro [Initialled] JB
OS1/14/79/21 CHURCH Church (Ph. [Parish]) Church (Ph. [Parish]) Church (Ph. [Parish]) Rev. [Reverend] Robert Grant Rev. [Reverend] Robert Inglis, Edzell William Cameron, P. [Parish] Schoolmaster 020 A substantial building of modern erection. In the Churchyard surrounding it John Baliol is said, by some writers, to have surrendered the Scottish Crown to Edward 1st. of England in 1296 - This is however uncertain as, in the words of the New Statistical Account, "the neighbouring parishes of Montrose and Brechin claim the same distinction",
OS1/14/79/21 WEST WATER BRIDGE West Water Bridge Authenticated and described in N. [Name] Book of Edzell Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/21 WEST WATER West Water Authenticated and described in N. [Name] Book of Edzell Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/21 [Page] 21 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro Church [note] Number of Stone Coffins dug up a few years ago about 300 yards east of the Church? New Stat. [Statistical]
OS1/14/79/22 RIVER NORTH ESK River North Esk 020 See Sheet 7 Lochlee Ph. [Parish] for general description. This river becomes the boundary between the parishes of Edzell and Stracathro about ¼ of a mile above its junction with the West Water, It then flows through the northern portion of the parish for ¾ of a mile, It then becomes the boundary between Stracathro and Logie Pert for a short distance more, when it flows out of the Parish of Stracathro.
OS1/14/79/22 STRACATHRO HOUSE Stracathro House Stracathro House Stracathro House Stracathro House Sir James Campbell Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor New Stat. [Statistical] Account County Map 020 A splendid mansionhouse the seat of Sir James Campbell of Stracathro, The pleasure grounds around it are in excellent order and most extensive. It is the proprietor's wish that "House" be used here, as in this case is only proper.
OS1/14/79/22 [Page] 22 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/23 NEWTON Newton Newton Newton William Fyffe Prop. [Proprietor] Val. [Valuation] Roll Estate Plan of Auchenreoch 027 A superior farm steading the property of the occupier William Fyffe
OS1/14/79/23 NEWTONMILL Newtonmill Newtonmill Newtonmill D. Black Esqr. Factor Estate Plan of Auchenreoch Val. [Valuation] Roll 027 This name is applied to the Corn Mill, on the north, the sawmill, on the south, and all the houses between them. They are the property of Major Livingstone.
OS1/14/79/23 MILL DEN Mill Den Old Plan of 1768 Sir James Campbell Pr. [Proprietor] Alexander Howie Parkkeeper &c &c 020 A hollow or den on the Cruick Water immediately opposite the Mansion House of Stracathro, and where there was formerly a Mill and some houses
OS1/14/79/23 [Page] 23 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/24 STONE CISTS FOUND [nr parish church] Alexander Howie, Park Keeper Andrew Mill Wright Sir James Campbell Pr. [Proprietor] New Stat: Acct. [Statistical Account] 020 The place where 4 Stone Cists were found about the year 1834 as pointed out to me by Alexander Howie a very old man in presence of the Proprietor. They contained the usual remains, and a presumed to be "the number of Stone Coffins found a few years ago about 300 yards east of the Church" alluded to in the New Stat: Acct. [Statistical Account]
OS1/14/79/24 STONE CIST FOUND [Mill Den] 020 Further East at the edge of the wood overhanging the River North Esk at the end of the Mill Den was found a very large rude stone slab on the removal of the floor of a cottage under which were quantities of human bones &c as pointed out by the same person. [Initialled] JB Lt.Col. [Lieutenant Colonel]
OS1/14/79/24 [Page] 24
OS1/14/79/25 BALLOWNIE Ballownie Ballownie Ballownie Ballownie New Stat [Statistical] Account Val. [Valuation] Roll Messrs. Shiress & Whitson Factors David Reid Farmer 027 A superior farm steading the property of John Speid Esqr.
OS1/14/79/25 WARD OF BALLOWNIE Ward of Ballownie Ward of Ballownie Ward of Ballownie Val. [Valuation] Roll Messrs. Shiriss & Whitson David Reid 027 A dwelling house, with small portion of land attached, the property of John Speid Esqr.
OS1/14/79/25 MILL OF SIDE Mill of Side Mill of Side Mill of Syde Mill of Side Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Estate Plan Val [Valuation] Roll County Map 027 Formerly a Corn mill, the mill has been removed, but the name is retained to the houses, which are occupied by Cottars on Westerton farm.
OS1/14/79/25 [Page] 25 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/26 WESTERTON Westerton Westerton Westertown Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll 027 An extensive farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell of Stracathro.
OS1/14/79/26 CRUICK WATER Cruick Water See name sheets of Fearn 027 This water enters the parish of Stracathro about a quarter of a mile South of Newton, and flowing in a winding course falls into River North Esk near the Mansionhouse of Stracathro.
OS1/14/79/26 [Page] 26 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/27 TUMULUS (Site of) [Ballownie] Tumulus (site of) Tumulus (site of) Tumulus (site of) Tumulus (site of) (Re or Rye Hillock) Dalrymple's Annals New Stat Acct. [Statistical Account] David Reid, Ballownie Memorial of Angus & Mearns 027 "On the farm of Ballownie, about 1100 yards west from the Church were lately discovered, in a mound, which was named the Lousy Hillock, some relics of antiquity, which seemed to indicate that it had been used as a place of sacrifice by the Druids &c &c New Stat [Statistical] Account. "On opening the Re or Rye Hillock near the Church, a few years ago, a carefully constructed stone coffin was found on the top, about two feet below the surface. It contained human remains, and the figure of a fish, which the peasantry say "was made of gold, and about a finger length", This interesting relic, which was carried off by the workmen and lost, had, perhaps, been part of the armorial ensigns of the person interred, and as the Earl of Moray was killed here" (see 19.16) "this may have been the place of his burial.... Tytler says that Kenneth III also came by his death here, and tradition affirms that three Danish Chiefs were buried in the North east corner of the Kirk" Dalrymple's Annals The Continued [continued on page 28]
OS1/14/79/27 [Page] 27 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro [Amendment] Authority for the information [Note] Tumuli on Plan applying to these two [Initialled] JB Lt.Col [Lieutenant Colonel]
OS1/14/79/28 Tumulus Continued 027 [continued from page 27] The site of the mound is still quite traceable, and the farmer states that so much black earth was taken from it that it topdressed the whole of his farm which is a pretty considerable one.
OS1/14/79/28 TUMULUS [Ballownie] Tumulus New Stat [Statistical] Account David Reid Ballownie 027 A remarkable little knoll near the last mentioned, It is of rather irregular shape, having been tampered with, It is similar to one, on the Hill of Stracathro, in Brechin Parish, which General Roy mentions as a signal station of the Romans in connection with the camp at Keithock. It is sometimes called "Law Hillock" and has probable been a knoll of justice. "An artificial hillock corresponding to one about a mile distant, on the Hill of Stracathro, They have been called Cairns, but from their commanding situation it is more likely they were used as signal stations" New Stat [Statistical] Account
OS1/14/79/28 [Page] 28 Co [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro [Amendment] Authority for the information Tumulus continued [note] dotted circle or slight mound? [Initialled] JB
OS1/14/79/29 HILLSIDE Hillside Hillside Hillside Hillside Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll County Map 027 A small farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/29 BRIDGE OF CRUICK Bridge of Cruick Bridge of Cruick Bridge of Cruick Mr. Henderson Surveyor, Brechin Robert Lyall Esqr. Alexander Burnett, Wd. [Ward] of Ballownie 027 A County bridge of three arches, carrying the Statute Labour Road from Edzell to Brechin, over the "Cruick Water"
OS1/14/79/29 NEWTONMILL HOUSE Newtonmill House Newtonmill House Newtonmill House D. Black Esqr. Factor Miss Joss, Tenant Val. [Valuation] Roll 027 A small mansion house the property of Major Livingstone
OS1/14/79/29 [Page] 29 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/30 BLACKDIKES Blackdikes Blackdikes Blackdikes Blackdikes Chalmer's Caledonia Romana Old Stat. [Statistical] Account Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Mr. Henderson Surveyor, Brechin 027 A very old cothouse on the farm of "Side". It is associated with a Roman Camp, which formerly was in its vicinity but in the neighbouring parish - Brechin - see "Site of CAMP" on the same trace of Brechin Parish. "The Roman Camp near Keithock which was formerly named War-dikes" (probablyWard-dikes) "and is called Blackdikes" &c, &c, Chalmers Caledonia There is a place in the parish called Blackdikes which is thought to be a corruption of Battledikes" &c &c Old Stat [Statistical] Account
OS1/14/79/30 [Page] 30 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/31 SIDE Side Side Side Syde Side Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Estate Plan Charles Fawns Tenant Val. [Valuation] Roll County Map 027 A new farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell of Stracathro,
OS1/14/79/31 CAIRNTON Cairnton Cairnton Cairnton Cairnton Robert Lyall Esqr. Estate Plan Charles Fawns County Map 027 A small farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell
OS1/14/79/31 KEITHOCK BURN Keithock Burn Authenticated & described in N. [Name] Book of Brechin Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/31 [Page] 31 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/32 [Page] 32 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/33 SCHOOL [Huntlyhill] School School School Mr. McNicoll Teacher Mr. Cameron Ph. [Parish] Schoolmaster Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor 027 The building in which this School is, was formerly the farm steading of Huntlyhill, The school has been long in existence, and has been all along supported, as it is at present, by the proprietor of the Estate of Stracathro,
OS1/14/79/33 HILLHEAD Hillhead Mr. McNicoll Teacher Mr. Cameron Ph. [Parish] Schoolmaster Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor 027 A good building occupied by a game keeper
OS1/14/79/33 HUNTLYHILL Huntlyhill Huntlyhill Huntlyhill Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Val. [Valuation] Roll Mr. McNicoll 027 A most extensive farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell
OS1/14/79/33 [Page] 33 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/34 HILL OF STRACATHRO Hill of Stracathro Hill of Stracathro Hill of Stracathro New Stat. [Statistical] Account Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor Mr. McNicoll, Teacher 027 A long flat topped eminence with gently sloping sides, It extends from the Parish of Brechin to the Parish of Logie Pert, and that portion to which the name applies lies within the Parish of Stracathro, Its highest point the "Hare Cairn" is a prominent feature where a battle was fought in 1452. "See Site of Battle". "The hill of Stracathro seems to be composed principally of Limestone" New Stat [Statistical] Account The old Quarries, where the limestone was wrought, still exist - see traces.
OS1/14/79/34 [Page] 34 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/35 Site of HARE CAIRN Haer Cairn Hair Cairn Hare Cairn Hare Cairn Land of the Lindsays p. [page] 149 Pictorial History of Scotland Memorials of Angus & Mearns Mr. McNicoll, Teacher 027 A prominent knoll forming the highest point of the "Hill of Stracathro", There is a large remarkable stone on the top of it, which is said to have been the spot where the standard of either of the leaders was planted, in the battle which took place here in 1452, - The following condensed account is taken from the written authorities quoted, After the murder of Douglas, by James 2nd. in Stirling Castle, in 1452, the Earl of Crawford summoned his vassals throughout Angus, with the intention of joining the army of Douglas' brother - who had risen to revenge his death - to march against the King's forces, The King, desirous to cut off the communication between the armies of Douglas and Crawford, commanded the Earl of Huntly - whom he had appointed Lieutenant General - to march southward, while he himself led a powerful army to the north, for the purpose [continued on page 36]
OS1/14/79/35 Site of the BATTLE between the Earls of Crawford and Huntly [Hare Cairn] Site of the Battle between the Earls of Huntly and Crawford A.D. 1452 Land of the Lindsays p. [page] 149 Pictorial History of Scotland Memorials of Angus & Mearns Mr. McNicoll, Teacher 027 A prominent knoll forming the highest point of the "Hill of Stracathro", There is a large remarkable stone on the top of it, which is said to have been the spot where the standard of either of the leaders was planted, in the battle which took place here in 1452, - The following condensed account is taken from the written authorities quoted, After the murder of Douglas, by James 2nd. in Stirling Castle, in 1452, the Earl of Crawford summoned his vassals throughout Angus, with the intention of joining the army of Douglas' brother - who had risen to revenge his death - to march against the King's forces, The King, desirous to cut off the communication between the armies of Douglas and Crawford, commanded the Earl of Huntly - whom he had appointed Lieutenant General - to march southward, while he himself led a powerful army to the north, for the purpose [continued on page 36]
OS1/14/79/35 [Page] 35 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro [Object name initialled] JB Lt.Col [Lieutenant Colonel] [Sketch denoting dimensions of cairn] [at top] 2.0 [at base] 3.6 [height] 6.0 [Note] About 120 Links S.W. [South West] of the stone as it now lies were found two Stone Cists containing human remains [Initialled] JB.
OS1/14/79/36 Hare Cairn/Site of Battle Continued [continued from page 35] of joining him, Crawford, equally anxious to check Huntly's progress, met him about 10 miles from his own (Crawford's) Castle, at the "Hare Cairn", about two miles north east of the City of Brechin, on the 18th May 1452; where a battle took place in which the valour displayed by Crawford's party was so great, that the battle had in all probability been decided in their favour, had not Collace, the laird of Balnamoon, - who was offended at Crawford for refusing to comply with some demands made by him on the field - left his side, with three hundred followers, and joined the ranks of Huntly, which before long decided the battle in favour of the royalists, - The farm on which the battle was fought is still called "Huntlyhill", If ever (as Mr Jarvise states) the names of Earl Beardie's or Huntly's stone were known to the stone on the "Hare Cairn", they are now entirely forgotten, Sir James Campbell the Proprietor and his Park Keeper Alexander Howie a very old man (who remembers it) informs me that there was a large artificial cairn of stones at this place, and that the present large monolith has been tumbled from the top of the beacon which it surmounted. the stones had become scattered in Sir James' time and hence were removed. [Initialled] J.B. Lt.Col. [Lieutenant Colonel]
OS1/14/79/36 [Page] 36 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/37 ARDO Ardo Ardo Ardo Ardo Ardo Robert Lyall Esqr. Factor David Lyall Estate Plan Val. [Valuation] Roll Land of the Lindsays 027 A good farm steading the property of Sir James Campbell,
OS1/14/79/37 [Page] 37 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro
OS1/14/79/38 [Page] 38 [Blank page]
OS1/14/79/39 ADDICATE Addicate Addicate Addicate Val. [Valuation] Roll James Campbell Mr. McNicoll, Teacher 027 A good farm steading the property of the Right Honble. [Honourable] the Earl of Southesk, the only property he possesses in Stracathro Ph. [Parish]
OS1/14/79/39 [Page] 39 Co. [County] Forfar -- Parish of Stracathro [Volume signed] John Bayly Lt.Col.R.E. [Lieutenant Colonel Royal Engineers]
OS1/14/79/40 [Page] 40 [Volume] 79 OS1/14/79 S to T [Date stamp] ORDNANCE SURVEY M.S. STORE SOUTHAMPTON 8 JUN 1923 Co. [COUNTY] FORFAR PARISH OF STRACATHRO 1/2500 Scale
OS1/14/79/41 [Page] 41 Index Names -- Sheet -- Plan -- Page Auchenreoch -- 20 -- 13 -- 18 Ardo -- 27 -- 6 -- 37 Addicate -- 27 -- 7 -- 39 Burnhead -- 19 -- 12 -- 8 Battle fought &c AD 1130 -- 19 -- 16 -- 9 Burial Ground -- 20 -- 9 -- 13 Brewston -- 20 -- 9 -- 14 Balhill -- 20 -- 9 -- 14 Bonnietown -- 20 -- 13 -- 18 Brawl's Well -- 20 -- 14 -- 20 Ballownie -- 27 -- 2 -- 25 Bridge of Cruick -- 27 -- 2 -- 29 Blackdikes -- 27 -- 2 -- 30 Church of Dunlappie -- 20 -- 9 -- 13 Crowyards -- 20 -- 9 -- 14 Church -- 20 -- 14 -- 21 Cruick Water -- 27 -- 2 -- 26 Cairnton -- 27 -- 2 -- 31 Eastertown of Dunlappie -- 20 -- 9 -- 13 Garie Burn -- 19 -- 16 -- 11 Greens -- 20 -- 9 -- 15 Hill of Lundie -- 19 -- 12 -- 7 Hillockhead -- 19 -- 12 -- 8 Hillside -- 27 -- 2 -- 29 Hillhead -- 27 -- 6 -- 33 Huntlyhill -- 27 -- 6 -- 33 Hill of Stracathro -- 27 -- 6 -- 34 Hare Cairn -- 27 -- 6 -- 35 Inchbare -- 20 -- 14 -- 19 Keithock Burn -- 27 -- 2 -- 31 Lundie Bog -- 19 -- 12 -- 7 Mill of Dunlappie -- 20 -- 9 -- 15 Manse -- 20 -- 14 -- 20 Mill Den -- 27 -- 1 -- 23 Mill of Side -- 27 -- 2 -- 25 Newton -- 27 -- 1 -- 23 Newtonmill -- 27 -- 1 -- 23 Newtonmill House -- 27 -- 2 -- 29 Old Spinning Mill -- 20 -- 13 -- 18 Parkland -- 19 -- 8 -- 3 Roughburn -- 20 -- 13 -- 17 River North Esk -- 20 -- 14 -- 22 School -- 20 -- 14 -- 19 Smiddyhill -- 20 -- 14 -- 19 Stracathro House -- 20 -- 14 -- 22 Side -- 27 -- 2 -- 31 School -- 27 -- 6 -- 33 Site of Battle &c AD 1452 -- 27 -- 6 -- 35 The Clash -- 19 -- 11 -- 5 Tarryloch -- 19 -- 12 -- 7 Tumuli -- 27 -- 2 -- 27 Tumuli -- 27 -- 2 -- 28 Woodside -- 19 -- 16 -- 11 Westertown of Dunlappie -- 20 -- 13 -- 17 West Water -- 20 -- 14 -- 21 West Water Bridge -- 20 -- 14 -- 21 Ward of Ballownie -- 27 -- 2 -- 25 Westerton -- 27 -- 2 -- 26 Witches Kirn -- 20 -- 13 -- 18