List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
MAINS CASTLE (Ruins of) G. [German] Text Mains Castle
Mains Castle
Mains Castle
Mr John Morris Parish Schoolmaster
Mr Robert Wilson Toll Bar
Sir John Ogilvie Bart. [Baronet]
054 [Situation] In the Southern portion of the Parish
This Castle is situated a short distance South West of the Dighty Water. The Tower is in a good state of preservation also the East wing has been modernised into a neat two story dwelling house There is an inscription over the principal Gateway and another over a door in the Court the former is 1567 the latter 1587. It belonged to the family of Graham & was called Fintrie.
THE TREE OF MAINS 054 [Situation] On the South side of Ruins of Mains Castle
There is a large Beech Tree at the South East corner of the Castle called "The Tree of Mains."
MILL OF MAINS (Flour) Mill of Mains (Flour)
Mill of Mains (Flour)
Mill of Mains (Flour)
Mr William Stiven
Mr John Morris Ph [Parish] Schoolmaster
Valuation Roll 1857 & 8
054 [Situation] In the Southern portion of the Parish
A Flour Mill, is situated on the Dighty Water in possession of Mr David Fowler

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 49
Parish of Mains -- Sheet 54 Plan 2 Trace 1

[Page signed]
James Clegg
Sap. R.E. [Sapper Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Logiealmond

  Location information for this page.