List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Supposed Site of GREY FRIARS' MONASTERY (1260) [Dundee] Supposed site of Greyfriars Convent

Monastery or Friary of Franciscans
Mr. James Thomson Smalls Wynd Dundee
Mr. C. Roger Dundee Library
Mr. J. Kettles Manager of Houff
Mackie's History of Dundee
054 [Situation] In the SW. [South West] portion of the Houff or old Burial Ground
The Monistery which is supposed to have stood on the south west side of what is now used as a burial ground was erected in the year 1260 and was destroyed at an early period of the Reformation in 1560. The exact site of the conventual buildings cannot be stated with any degree of certainty as no traces of foundation walls have hitherto been discovered in digging within the walls of the Houff; altho' [although] along its East side, small, & isolated fragments of masonry have from time to time been found at a considerable depth from the surface yet sufficient only to lead to conjecture on this point. In Dr. [Doctor] Small's statistical account of Dundee dated 1792 it is stated "It is this Monastry
[continued on page 64]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 63
Town of Dundee -- Sheet 54. 5 No. 24 Traces 5 & 6

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Iain496

  Location information for this page.