Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/14/11/65

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
BISHOP'S CLOSE Bishop's Close
Bishop's Close
Bishop's Close
Bishop's Close
History of Brechin
Rev. [Reverend] Mr. Halket Manse
Mr. Daniel Macintosh
Mr. Lawrence
027 A lane or alley leading from High Street in a westerly direction and terminating at the Church gate. Immediately at the west side of the pend at High Street on trace 2, is the remains or one side of an old Arch, said to have been built by Bishop Carnock.
"To the west of the church is a Lane, leading to High Street, termed the Bishop's Close. Over the mouth of the close next the High Street is a pend or Arch, the sides of which display part of the ancient walls which enclose the Bishop's Palace, and part of the abutments, from which sprung the original arch over this entry, which is we believe, was erected by Bishop Carnock between 1429 and 1450. On the north side of this lane, stood the Bishop's Palace, but no vestige of it now remains, the foundation having been dug up when the house, lately occupied by Mr. Burns, was erected in 1771. Bishop Carnock himself seems to have been a builder but to what extent we cannot say, only we find in 1579 a grant of the then Bishop of a piece of ground, tending along by the wall and street onward to the gate of the tower called Carnocks Tower, being as the document leads us to infer, the gate or entry now called the Bishop's close, on the west side of the High St, and opposite the present Relief Church."
History of Brechin by David D. Black Town Clerk
Site of the BISHOP'S PALACE Arch (Remains of)
Site of Bishop's Palace
History of Brechin
Rev. [Reverend] Mr. Halket Manse
Mr. Daniel Macintosh
Mr. Lawrence
027 Over the mouth of the close next the High Street is a pend or Arch, the sides of which display part of the ancient walls which enclose the Bishop's Palace, and part of the abutments, from which sprung the original arch over this entry, which is we believe, was erected by Bishop Carnock between 1429 and 1450. On the north side of this lane, stood the Bishop's Palace, but no vestige of it now remains, the foundation having been dug up when the house, lately occupied by Mr. Burns, was erected in 1771.
CARNOCK'S TOWER (Remains of) 027 "... Bishop Carnock himself seems to have been a builder but to what extent we cannot say, only we find in 1579 a grant of the then Bishop of a piece of ground, tending along by the wall and street onward to the gate of the tower called Carnock's Tower, being as the document leads us to infer the gate or entry now called the Bishop's close, on the west side of the High Street, and opposite the present Relief Church" History of Brechin by David D Black, Town Clerk

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 65

Bishop's Palace [note]
"The Bishop's Palace of which no
trace is now left, except a very small portion
of the Arch of the gateway (on the inner and
south side of the Bishop's Close) stood near
the site of the old Manse. The ruins both of
this edifice & of the Canons' houses were to be
seen towards the close of the 17th. Century, and also
in all probability Bishop Carnock's tower
which formed part of the Old City Wall"
Memorials

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Caspell

  Location information for this page.