Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/13/62/11

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH [parish, Winthank] Church
Church
Revd. [Reverend] W.P. Dickson Minister Cameron.
Henry Miller Farmer Cameron
012 [situation] About 1 mile S.S.E. [South South East] from Winthank.
The parish church of Cameron is a plain building with belfry at the West end. it was built in 1808 on the site of the old church which was built shortly after 1645 when the presbytery made Cameron a parish. It is surrounded by a grave yard, and situated in the centre of the parish. It is seated for 500, it has a gallery; the average number of attendants is about 400, the communicants average about 450. Revd. [Reverend] W. P. Dickson is the present minister, his stipend is 111 bolls, 2 pecks, 1¼ lippies of meal; 111 bolls, 2 pecks, 1¼ lippies of barley, and £42.17.3 in money, £10 of which he receives for vicarage. Government is in possession of the patronage. The seats are divided proportionally among the heritors according to their valued rent, the schoolmaster has a pew, the rest are divided among the farmers and their dependents. (The minister has the first choice of the seats.)

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 11-- Parish of Cameron-- Plan 12C-- Trace 5

[signed] P. McHugh. Pte. RS&M [Private, Royal Sappers & Miners.]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, MaxInSpain

  Location information for this page.