Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 47 [No Header]

[Quotation - continued]
are at the side of the shield. His episcopate extended from A.D.1522 till 1539. This may perhaps make it a matter of doubt whether Wardlaw or Beaton were the original constructor of the Gare Bridge (2). The first may have built it, the second rebuild is of more suitable dimensions; though it is still too narrow to allow of carriages passing."
(2)"There is a family of the name of [Warr] who still have a few acres of land near this bridge, which were granted to their ancestors by the Bishops of St.Andrews, on condition of their performing the twofold office of keeping the bridge, and acting as doomster to the bishops Court of regality. In former times, a chain was stretched across the bridge, which it was the duty of the Keeper to remove, in order to allow the horses or carriages of the gentry to pass over; the carts of the commonalty being obliged to ford the stream at low tide. In his judicial capacity, the doomster was required, by his charter to yield all due obedience to the seneschal of the bishop: and both to pronounce and execute the dooms or sentence of his court. The proper name of the bridge we may observe, is Gare, not Guard, as it is commonly called. Gare, in Gaelic, signifies a fishing station: hence we have Gare-loch, the Garry, Gare, or Garr &c.
Lyon's Hist: [History] of St. Andrews. Vol.1. p.211-& 212

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

MaxInSpain , VickiColeman

  There are no linked mapsheets.