Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 40

"The parish church of St Andrews which is situated in South Street was founded by Bishop Turgot about 1112 and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There were thirty chapels or altarages founded with it each served by a separate chaplain, besides the great altar. These were dedicated to various Saints according to the superstitious views of the founder: among them were the altars of the blessed Virgin Mary, of St Catherine, of Holy Cross, of St Lawrence, of St John Baptist, of St Bartholomew of St James etc etc. There were also fifteen choiristers belonging to the church who appear to have been an incorporated body, having a Seal, impressions of which are still preserved All the property belonging to these chapelrainries and the choiristers was conveyed the Crown by an act of Queen Mary shortly after the reformation. The church having become decayed was repaired, or rather entirely rebuilt in 1798 though on the old foundation and is at present in good condition. It is seated for about 2200. There are no free sittings the whole being divided between the City and the proprietors of land in the parish" etc etc

"The charge is collegiate, a second charge having been established in 1589. The incumbent of the first charge is the Rev Robert Haldane D.D. [Doctor of Divinity] principal of St Mary's College and of the second the Rev George Buist D.D. [Doctor of Divinity] professor of church history in the same college. The patronage of the first in the Crown of the second is in the magistrates and town council" etc See, Leighton's Hist. [History] of Fife, vol. [volume] 3 pp [pages] 37, 38

Transcriber's notes

Continuation of Description of "Town Church".

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.