List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST MARY'S CHURCH or Church, of the Franciscan Monastery Saint Mary's Church (Ruins of)
Saint Mary's Church (Ruins of)
Saint Mary's Church (Ruins of)
Thomas Lee Esqr.
Andrew Beaton
Lamp of Lothian
[Situation] About 12 chains West of Maitlandfield, adjoining the parish church.
The ruins of a large monastic church apparently founded in the 12th or 13th century and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was a monastery of Franciscan or Grayfriars. Lord Seton appears to have been one of its principal benefactors and in 1441 was buried within its walls. The monastic part of the edifice was defaced by Edward III. The choir and the transept of the church are now in ruins, but the square tower 90 feet high is still entire and the western part of the cross, fitted up in a superior style in 1811, is the present parish church. The ruinous choir was anciently called "Lucerna Laudonia" [Lucerna Laudoniae?] the Lamp of Lothian. The length of the fabric from east to west is 210 feet, the length of the transept or cross from north to south is 110 feet, and the breadth of the nave 62 feet, "During the reign of Alexander II a Franciscan Monastery was founded in Haddington town. In February 1355-6 while Edward III wasted the whole lands of East Lothian he burnt the town and Monastery of Haddington with the Church of the Minorites" See Chalmers Caledonia, volume 2, page 507.
Continued in next page.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 11
The following note has been added. "It should be 'Ruins of', or 'Remains of', but as it is not all in ruins it should be 'Remains of'."

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Skinnb1- Moderator, wilson5bh

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.