System Outage

We are migrating the servers that support this website to a new platform. Service will be affected for some time. Further information is available here.

East Lothian, volume 37

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/15/37/1 [Page] 1 PARISH OF PRESTONPANS PLAN 8D INDEX Names of Objects -- Pages Prestonpans (Ph. [Parish] of) -- 38 Ayrs Wynd -- 29 Bankfoot -- 3 Brick & Tile Works -- 12 Black Rocks -- 13 Britannia Pier (Iron) -- 14 Brewery -- 16 Bank House -- 32 Cuthill Rocks -- 4 Cuthill -- 4 Church Wynd -- 18 Church -- 31 Dolphingston Colliery -- 28 Dolphingston T.P. -- 8 Dolphingston -- 9 Drummore -- 11 Don Craig -- 16 Free Church -- 29 Fountain Head -- 34 Goshen -- 8 Girdle Rocks -- 18 Hattle Rocks -- 13 Hebrun Rocks -- 15 Harleyhill -- 17 High Street -- 32 Morrison's Haven -- 5 Mackie Rocks -- 17 Manse -- 30 Northfield House (1611) [Initialled] -- 23 North British Railway Tavern -- 24 North British Railway -- 28 Ox Craigs --5 Old Hospital -- 22 Ox Rocks -- 32 Pottery -- 3 Panwoodlees -- 7 Preston Grange -- 12 Preston Links -- 13 Preston Links Colliery -- 14 Preston Lodge -- 23 Post Office -- 15 Preston Castle (Remains of) -- 19 Preston Cross -- 20 Preston Cottage -- 23 Pottery -- 25 Prestonpans -- 26 Preston -- 27 Parish School -- 30 Quebec Rocks -- 14 Rigley Hill -- 8 Red Burn -- 9 Ravenshaugh Burn -- 10 Ravenshaugh Bridge County -- 10
OS1/15/37/2 [Page] 2 Index of Plan 8D Continued Names of Objects -- Pages Ravenshaugh -- 11 Ravenshaugh T.P. -- 12 Ringan's Hole -- 16 Rope Walk -- 21 Rosemount -- 31 Saw Mill -- 6 School -- 6 Slideaway Rocks -- 15 Salt Works -- 17 Soap Manufactory -- 18 Schaw's Hospital -- 25 School (Free Church) -- 30 Site of the Battle of Prestonpans 1745 -- 33 The Cast -- 3 Tranent Station -- 28 Thorn Tree -- 30 Wallyford T.P. -- 11 Watson's Colliery -- 21 Morrison's Haven (Village) -- 35 Cowthrople or Dolphingston (Ruins of) -- 37 Fort (Remains of) -- 36
OS1/15/37/3 POTTERY [Prestonpans] Pottery David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster 008 [Situation] In the South West End of the Village of Prestonpans. A large building erected for and used as a Pottery, it is slated is in good repair and is the property of Mitchel, Belfield, and Co. [Company].
OS1/15/37/3 BANKFOOT Bankfoot David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster. 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.N.W. [North North West] from Dolphingston, and a short distance S.W. [South West] of the Village of Prestonpans. A row of dwelling houses in good repair and from one to two storys high. Situated by the Side of the public road from Musselburgh to Prestonpans. Proprietor, Sir GG Suttie of Preston Grange.
OS1/15/37/3 THE CAST The Cast David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.W. by N. [North West by North] from Dolphingston. A Small piece of flat broken rocks on the foreshore, near Bankfoot they are nearly level with the Surrounding Shingl & Sand a few large bolders lie on and around them
OS1/15/37/3 [Page] 3 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T. Smith
OS1/15/37/4 CUTHILL ROCKS Cuthil Rocks Cuthil Rocks Cuttle Rocks Cuttle Rocks Cuttle Rocks Cuthill Rocks Cuthill Rocks David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster, Co. [County] map 1799 Johnston's map Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] Revd. [Reverend] James Struthers Mr. James Myles 008 [Situation] About 7/8 of a mile N.N.W. [North North West] from Dolphingston A Small piece of flat broken rocks Situated between high and low Water mark, and all covered by every tide.
OS1/15/37/4 CUTHILL Cuthil Cuthil Cuthill Cuttle Cuittle or Cuthill Cuthill Cuthill Cuthill David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] vol 17 No. 74 Fullarton's Gazetteer Sir G. Grant Suttie Revd. [Reverend] James Struthers Mr. James Myles. 008 [Situation] A short distance S.W. [South West] of Prestonpans and Close to Bankfoot A Small village adjoining the West end of the village of Prestonpans the houses which are in three different fragments, on both Sides of the public road, are, chiefly from one to two Storeys high and of inferior Construction occupied Chiefly by Fishermen and agricultural labourers there is no church nor School nor any Public institution here, the Houses are the property of different proprietors
OS1/15/37/4 [Page] 4 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T. Smith
OS1/15/37/5 OX CRAIGS Ox Craigs Ox Craigs David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster, 008 [Situation] About 1 mile N.W. by W [North West by West] from Dolphingston Two Seperate pieces of low or flat broken rocks Situated on the fore-shore neare Morrisons Haven, they are completely covered over by almost every tide.
OS1/15/37/5 MORRISON'S HAVEN Morrison's Haven Morrison's Haven Morison's Haven, Morrisons Haven Morrison's Haven Sir George G. Suttie Preston Grange W McArthur Schoolmaster Chambers Gazetteer P. 789 Forrests Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnston's Co. [County] Map. 008 [Situation] About 1 mile N.W. by W. [North West by West] from Dolphingston A Small harbour, on the Firth of Fort, now chiefly used as a landing place for Fishermen's Small craft, its imports and exports are chiefly Rock-salt and Coal. It was first constructed by the monks of Newbattle. James V. granted them a charter dated April 26th 1526 empowering them to construct a Port within their own Lands of Prestongrange from whence they might export the coal they had had the ingenuity to discover in this part of the country, it is considered a safe Harbour and has only ten feet of water at spring tides. It is the property of Sir G.G Suttie of Preston Grange.
OS1/15/37/5 [Page] 5 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/6 SAW MILL [Dolphingston] Saw Mill Saw Mill David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W. McArthur, 008 [Situation] About 7/8 of a mile N.W. by W [North West by West] from Dolphingston. A Small stone building first erected for, and used as a dwelling house but afterwards Converted into and now used as a Saw Mill it is in good working repair and is the property of Sir George G. Suttie of Preston Grange.
OS1/15/37/6 SCHOOL [Dolphingston] School School David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster, 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.W. [North West] from Dolphingston. A Small plain stone building in good repair erected by Sir George G Suttie for a Schoolhouse and used as Such there is an appointed teacher to it it at a salary of £25.0.0 per ann. [annum], paid by the founder, besides school fees, the average number of scholars is ninety. It is situated near Morrisons Harbour.
OS1/15/37/6 [Page] 6 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/7 PANWOODLEES Panwoodlees Panwoodlees Panwoodlees David Arnot Cuthil William McArthur Schoolmaster Lamp of Lothian T [Trust] 008 [Situation] About 30 chains W.N.W. [West North West] from Dolphingston A plain level field of ground and of arable surface on the farm of Dolphingston. General Fouke with a party of Gardeners, and Hamilton's Dragoons encamped on this field on the 16th of September 1745, a stragling horse happened to fall into one of a number of coal shafts then in the field, the noise thereby occeasioned such a panic to the party encamped, that without enquiry into its Cause they mounted their horses and fled by the Sands to Dunbar and thence to N. [North] Berwick Where they Joined General Sir John Cope then marching against the forces of the Pretender.
OS1/15/37/7 [Page] 7 8D [Signed] T. Smith
OS1/15/37/8 RIGLEY HILL Rigley Hill Rigley hill Whiggery Hill David Arnot, Cuthil Mr. William McArthur, Schoolmaster Forrests Map of Co. [County]. 008 [Situation] About 20 chains N.E. [North East] from Dolphingston A Small oblong hill of arable Surface on the farm of Dolphingston.
OS1/15/37/8 GOSHEN Goshen Goshen Goshan Goshan David Arnot, Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster Forrests Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnston's Map. 008 [Situation] About 1 mile W. [West] from Dolphingston A Small dwelling house and office houses all in good repair attached to it is a Small piece of ground, all laid out as an orchard & fruit garden.
OS1/15/37/8 DOLPHINGSTON T.P. Dolphingston Toll Bar Dolphingston Toll Bar David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile W by S. [West by South] from Dolphingston A Toll bar gate on the line of road from Musselburgh to Tranent adjoining is a dwelling house - a small building in good repair, it is the property of the Trustees of the County.
OS1/15/37/8 [Page] 8 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/9 DOLPHINGSTON COLLIERY Dolphingston Colliery Dolphingston Colliery David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster 008 [Situation] About 30 chains W by S [West by South] from Dolphingston A Coalpit open And in process of being worked and from which Large quantities of coal are taken every day it is situated on the farm of Dolphingston, and is the property of Sir George G. Suttie of Preston Grange.
OS1/15/37/9 DOLPHINGSTON Dolphingston Dolphingston Dolphingston Dolphingston Dolphingston David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur Schoolmaster Sir George G. Suttie Preston Grange Forrests Map of Co. [County]. Johnston's Co. [County] Map 008 [Situation] About 1 mile South by W. [West] from Dolphingston A large farm house and offices trashing mill & Hinds dwelling houses all in good repair attached to it is a large farm of ground the property of Sir George G Suttie of Preston grange.
OS1/15/37/9 RED BURN Red Burn Red Burn David Arnot Cuthil Mr. William McArthur 008 [Situation] Running Northward from the Village of Preston. A small stream rising near the West end of Preston and entering a pen at the West end of the village of prestonpans.
OS1/15/37/9 [Page] 9 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/10 RAVENSHAUGH BURN Ravenshaugh Burn Ravenshaugh Burn Ravenshaugh Burn Gazetteer of Scotland P. 567 David Arnot John Grieve 003 [Situation] Running Northward from the Farm House of Goshen, to the Firth of Forth. A Small Stream rising on the margin of the estate of Drummore and falling into the Firth of Forth it is about thirty chains long and it forms the boundary between the Counties of Haddington & Edinburgh.
OS1/15/37/10 RAVENSHAUGH BRIDGE Ravenshaugh Bridge Ravenshaugh Bridge Ravenshaugh Bridge Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers Mr. Bailie Turnbull Mr. John Grieve 003 [Situation] About 1 mile W.N.W. [West North West] from Dolphingston A Small Stone bridge of one arch over the Ravenshaugh Burn on the line of road from Musselburgh to Prestonpans, it was built and is kept in repair at the expence of the County.
OS1/15/37/10 [Page] 10 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T. Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/11 RAVENSHAUGH Ravenshaugh Ravenshaugh David Arnot, Cuthil Mr. W McArthur, Schoolmaster 008 [Situation] About 1 mile W.N.W [West North West] from Dolphingston. A Small dwelling house two Storys high in good repair and having a small garden attached to it. It is the property of Sir George G Suttie of Preston Grange.
OS1/15/37/11 DRUMMORE Drummore Drummore Drummore David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Forrest's Co. [County] map 1799 Johnston's Co. [County] map 008 [Situation] About 1 mile W by N [West by North] from Dolphingston A large and neatly built mansion house with office houses all in good repair attached to it is a small garden and about 30 acres of ornamental and other wooded demesne land it is the property of Capt. [Captain] Atchison.
OS1/15/37/11 WALLYFORD T.P. Wallyford Toll Bar Corner Ticket David Arnot, Cuthil William McArthur Schoolmaster. 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile W by N [West by North] from Dolphingston A Toll Bar gate and dwelling house on the line of road from Musselburgh to Tranent, the house is Small in good repair and is the property of the Trustees of the County
OS1/15/37/11 [Page] 11 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith.
OS1/15/37/12 BRICK AND TILE WORKS [Dolphingston] Brick and Tile Works Brick and Tile Works David Arnot, Cuthil Mr. W McArthur 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.W. [North West] from Dolphingston. A Brick and Tile manufactory Consisting of sheds an two Kilns all in good repair, and larg quantities of both are made here, formerly there was a manufactory of brown erthenware here, but it has been discontinued, adjoining it is a row of dwelling houses in good repair.
OS1/15/37/12 PRESTON GRANGE Preston Grange Preston Grange Preston Grange Preston Grange Prestongrange Sir George G Suttie Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster Forrests Co. [County] map 1799 Johnston's Co. [County] map Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile W by N [West by North] from Dolphingston A large and neatly built mansion house with office houses all in good repair and having a large garden and about eighty acres of ornamental and other Wooded demesnes attached to it, it is the property of Sir George G Suttie.
OS1/15/37/12 RAVENSHAUGH T.P. Ravenshaugh Toll Bar Ravenshaugh Toll Bar Ravenshaugh Toll Bar Ravensheugh toll-bar Corner Ticket David Arnot Cuthil Mr. W McArthur Schoolmaster, Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 003 [Situation] About 1 mile WNW [West North West] from Dolphingston A Toll Bar gate with a dwelling house attached to it, this last named is a small building in good repair the property of the Trustees of the County and situated on the line of road from Musselburgh to Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/12 [Page] 12 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith.
OS1/15/37/13 BLACK ROCKS Black Rocks Black Rocks David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.E. [North East] from Prestonpans A narrow Stripe of low broken rocks lying along the line of low water westwards from the Harbour of Cockenzie.
OS1/15/37/13 HATTLE ROCKS Hattle Rocks Hattle Rocks Hattle Rocks David Arnot John Grieve Grocer, Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers. 008 [Situation] About 5/8 of a mile N by E [North by East] from Prestonpans A flat bed of low rocks within the tidemark on the Firth of Forth and about thirty chains west of the Harbour at Cockenzie, they are flat and broken and partially cover'd with bolders, and shingle,
OS1/15/37/13 PRESTON LINKS Preston Links Preston Links David Arnot. John Grieve, Grocer. 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.E. [North East] from Prestonpans A long narrow Stripe of ground along the high water mark on the east side of the village of Prestonpans, its surface is [scored out and initialled], and is the property of the Trustees of Schaw's Hospital.
OS1/15/37/13 [Page] 13 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/14 BRITANNIA PIER (Iron) Britannia Pier (Iron) Britannia Pier (Iron) David Arnot John Grieve Grocer, 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile N.E. [North East] from Prestonpans, and close to Preston Links Colliery. An iron pier projecting about fourhundred and eighty links from the high water mark into the Firth of Forth, it was erected in 185[?] by Mr. John Grieve of Preston Lodge as a place for loading and unloading vessels.
OS1/15/37/14 QUEBEC ROCKS Quiby Rocks Quiby Rocks Quebec Rocks Quebec Rocks Quebec Rocks David Arnot John Grieve Grocer, Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers Mr. Robert Turnbull Mr. James Myles. 003 [Situation] About 30 chains N by E [North by East] from Prestonpans A flat piece of broken rocks within the tide mark on the foreshore near the east end of the village of Prestonpans they are partly cover'd with bolders.
OS1/15/37/14 PRESTON LINKS COLLIERY Preston Links Colliery Preston Links Colliery David Arnot, John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile N.E. [North East] from Prestonpans A Coalpit on Preston Links it is open and large quantities of coals are taken from it. It is the property of the Trustees of Schaws Hospital and is rented off them and worked by John Grieve of Preston Lodge
OS1/15/37/14 [Page] 14 [Signed] T Smith.
OS1/15/37/15 SLIDEAWAY ROCKS Slideaway Rocks Slideaway Rocks David Arnot. John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Immediately opposite the N.E. [North East] end of the Village of Prestonpans A Small piece of flat broken rocks within the tide mark at the east end of the village of Prestonpans.
OS1/15/37/15 POST OFFICE [Prestonpans] Post Office Post Office David Arnot. John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] In the N.E. [North East] end of Prestonpans. A Small dwelling house in the village of Prestonpans at which a Post Office is established for the receipt and delivery of letters &c.; there is one receipt and one despatch to and from it each day by a runner, passing from Musselburgh by it to Aberlady and returning Same day.
OS1/15/37/15 HEBRUN ROCKS Hebrun Rocks Hebrun Rocks David Arnot John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] Immediately opposite the NE [North East] end of the Village of Prestonpans A Stripe of low broken rocks lying along the line of Low water in the Firth of Forth and close by the village of Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/15 [Page] 15 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T. Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/16 BREWERY [Prestonpans] Brewery Brewery David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] In the N.E. [North East] end of the Village of Prestonpans A Brewhouse with a large set of extra offices connected with it, they are all in good repair, and the brewing of Ale & Beer is extencively carried on within these premises by the proprietor Mr. J F. Hyslop.
OS1/15/37/16 DOW CRAIG Dow Craig Dow Craig David Arnot, John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Immediately opposite Prestonpans. A Small piece of rocks on the foreshore of the Firth of Forth they are flat and broken on their Surface And are bounded on the West Side by a flat beach covered with Shingle and small bolders
OS1/15/37/16 RINGAN'S HOLE Ringan's Hole Ringan's Hole Ringings Hole Ringings Hole David Arnot John Grieve Grocer, Forrests map Johnstons Co. [County] map. 008 [Situation] Close to Dow Craig A Small indent of natural formation between two pieces of Rocky foreshore within the tide mark on the Firth of Forth. It affords an easy & safe landing place for Small and large fishing Boats.
OS1/15/37/16 [Page] 16 [Signed] T. Smith
OS1/15/37/17 MACKIE ROCKS Macky Rocks Mackie Rocks Mackie Rocks Mackie Rocks David Arnot. John Grieve Grocer. Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers Mr. Turnbull 008 [Situation] Immediately opposite Prestonpans. A Small piece of flat broken rocks on the foreshore of the Firth of Forth and close by the line of low water; so called from a person named "Mackie" who lived in the vicinity
OS1/15/37/17 HARLEYHILL Harleyhill David Arnot. John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Extending from the NE [North East] end of Prestonpans Southward. This name applies as a proper name to about seven chains of the public road from the point were it branches off the High Street of Prestonpans by the Ph. [Parish] manse to Preston. A few unconected dwelling houses from one to two storys high are situated on both side of it they are all in good repair and occupied
OS1/15/37/17 SALT WORKS [Prestonpans] Salt Manufactory Salt Manufactory Salt Works Salt Works David Arnot John Grieve Grocer Revd. [Reverend] Mr Struthers Mr. Turnbull 008 [Situation] In the Village of Prestonpans. A Salt manufactory Consisting of four Saltpans, Cover'd with Sheds or tile roofed houses and Surrounded with other office houses, & dwelling houses all in good repair. it is the property of William Alexander Esqr.
OS1/15/37/17 [Page] 17 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T. Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/18 GIRDLE ROCKS Girgle Rocks Girgle Rocks Girdle Rocks Girdle Rocks David Arnot. John Grieve Grocer Revd. [Reverend] Mr Struthers Mr. Turnbull 008 [Situation] Immediately opposite to S.W. [South West] end of the Village of Prestonpans A Small piece of flat broken rocks on the foreshore of the Firth of Forth and close by the line of low water so called from being circular, in the form of a girdle.
OS1/15/37/18 SOAP MANUFACTORY [Prestonpans] Soap Manufactory David Arnot John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] About the Centre of Prestonpans A large building consisting of a dwelling house and extensive office houses the whole in good repair, the latter was built for and is used as a Soap Manufactory, it is the property of James Mellis Esqr.
OS1/15/37/18 CHURCH WYND Church Wynd David Arnot John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] About the Centre of Prestonpans A narrow open road leading off from the high Street of Preston to a back road at the South Side of the Parish Church it is in good repair and is about four chains long and fenced on both Sides.
OS1/15/37/18 [Page] 18 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/19 PRESTON CASTLE (Ruins of) Preston Tower ancient Preston Tower ancient Preston Tower ancient Preston Castle Preston Castle Preston Castle Mr. Atkin farmer John Grieve Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] Revd. [Reverend] J. Struthers Mr. Robert Turnbull Mr. Myles 008 [Situation] In the Village of Preston. A Small Square tower Six storys high with a small projecting on the west side of it its walls are of considerable thickness and it is a roofless ruin since the year 1663. Of the date of its erection or origin little is locally known Sir W. Scott Supposes it to have been a fortalice of the Earls of Home the present Tower is the only remains of a Large Castle which stood here It was burned down by the Earl of Hertford in the year 1544 and by Cromwell in 1650, and by accident in 1663, and was then abandoned. (Preston-house) now known as Schaws Hospital (old) was built as a Successor to it the property having pass'd out of the Possession of the Hamiltons of Preston, the Small enclosure in which the Tower stands, was repurchased lately by Sir W Hamilton professor of Logic in the University of Edinbro. "Preston Tower formerly the residence of the Hamiltons of Preston said to have been built about the year 1500 is ruinous. At Dolphinston there are also the ruins of a family seat." Old Stat. Acct [Statistical Account] vol. 17 p. 75
OS1/15/37/19 [Page] 19 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/20 PRESTON CROSS Cross (ancient) Cross (ancient) Preston Cross Preston Cross Preston Cross John Grieve Grocer Mr. Atkin Farmer Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers Mr. Robert Turnbull 008 [Situation] In the Village of Preston. A Stone pillar about 15 feet high Surmounting a small octagonal erection about 9 feet high. Of its origin or the date of its erection nothing is locally known. The Chapmen or travelling merchants of the Lothians, had at a time when their craft was of no Small importance to the Country, formed themselves into a Society, and they annually attended a fair held at this village, for the purpose of electing their office bearers for the ensuing year and the cross, or pillar is claimed by them, the villagers affecting to be Successors of the chapmen annually in July hold a rustic fete round the Solitary Cross, which is now enclosed in a small garden near the West end of the village. "In a garden, on the opposite side of the road from the castle garden wall is the ancient cross of the village. Annually in the beginning of July, it is the scene of a little innocent merry-making. As if at the Summons of some ancient wizard in a mood of mirth and gentleness a numerous Company unexpectedly encircle the solitary pillar and amidst the agreeable warmth of a summer noon, interchange many pleasant and friendly salutations, in commemoration doubtless of important transactions which happened long ago. Their accustomed rites being duly performed the reign of silence is again allowed resume its sway around that simple monument of departed greatness. It is the property of the Chapmen of Lothian and is supposed to have been acquired by them in 1636. It is supposed by some antiquaries that the Company referred to are the modern representatives of that most respectable fraternity and it is worthy of remark that according to common report the descendants of those most useful persons are men no less deserving of public confidence and respect than their mercantile progenitors were." Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Haddingtonshire 1841 Page 310.
OS1/15/37/20 [Page] 20 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/21 WATSON'S COLLIERY Watson's Colliery Watson's Colliery Watson's Colliery John Grieve David Arnot Mr. Atkin 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile N.E. [North East] from Preston A Coalpit open and in process of being constantly worked. Large quantities of coal are daily taken from it. It is the property of Watson's Hospital, Edinburgh
OS1/15/37/21 ROPE WALK [Prestonpans] Rope Walk Rope Walk Rope Walk John Grieve David Arnot Richard Clark 008 [Situation] South of the Pottery A rope walk or manufactory situated in the north west end of the village of Prestonpans And the property of Richard Clark it gives constant employment to three men and as many boys.
OS1/15/37/21 [Page] 21 [Signed] T Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/22 OLD HOSPITAL [Schaw's Hospital] Schaw's Hospital (old) Schaw's Hospital (old) Schaw's Hospital (old) Schaw's Hospital (old) Shaws Hospital Hospital Schaw's Hospital Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scotland page 566 John Grieve David Arnot Mr. Atkin Johnston's Co. [County] Map. Forrests Co. [County] Map Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 008 [Situation] In the N.E. [North East] end of Preston An old mansion house called formerly Preston House. The property of James Schaw Esqr. who died in 1784 bequeathing Preston House to be fitted up as an hospital for the maintenance and education of poor boys, giving lands in the barony of Preston and the proceeds of other property for the support of the establishment. Schaw's Hospital or the house under its new destiny was opened in 1789, it at first admitted 15 boys but afterwards afforded space for 24, it gives a preference to four names in the order of Schaw, Macneil Cunningham and Stewart. A new Hospital was built in 1831 on the N.E. [North East] of the village and the inmates of the old were transfer'd to it. After that it was allow'd to moulder into its present dilapidated state, the Hospital (new) is under the Superintendance of 19 Trustees & a schoolmaster & matron reside in it as well as other domestics, boys, from 4 to 7 years of age are admitted and retained till 14, when they are apprenticed or otherwise disposed of.
OS1/15/37/22 [Page] 22 Parish of Prestonpans [Note relating to 'Old Hospital Schaw's Hospital'] - Old Hospital only to be written on plan as it is so near the new Hospital of the Same name [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/23 PRESTON COTTAGE Preston Cottage Ticket on gate John Grieve David Arnot, 008 [Situation] In the Centre of the Village of Preston A large and neatly built Cottage with offices all in good repair and haveing a small garden attached to it, it is the property of Mr. Hume.
OS1/15/37/23 PRESTON LODGE Preston Lodge David Arnot John Grieve Mr. Atkin 008 [Situation] Close to Preston Cottage. A Small but neatly built dwelling house and office houses all in good repair attached to it is a small garden, the property of Mr. Hume of Preston Cottage
OS1/15/37/23 NORTHFIELD HOUSE Northfield House Northfield House Northfield House Mr. Atkin John Grieve Grocer Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 008 [Situation] In the S.W. [South West] end of Preston. A Small but neatly built mansion house in good repair with offices and garden attached to it a stone over the door bears the date 1611. It is the property of Mr Symme See accompanying Correspondence on this date [Initialled] B.K.S. 17/12/55 [1855]
OS1/15/37/23 [Page] 23 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T Smith C. Asst. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/24 NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY TAVERN [Prestonpans] North British Railway Tavern North British Railway Tavern North British Railway Tavern Ticket over door, John Grieve Grocer Mr. Atkin 008 [Situation] About the Centre of the Village of Preston A large antiquated dwelling house now used as a public house, and known by the given name on a stone over the rere entrance is the date 1628, the date of its erection it has offices attached to it and all are in good repair. It was first built as an asylum for homeless widows by some fund left for that purpose by a private Gentleman it was after wards used as a Barrack for Soldiers, and latterly to a Public house, known by the given name. It is the property of Mr. John F. Hyslop of Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/24 [Page] 24 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/25 SCHAW'S HOSPITAL Schaw's Hospital Schaw's Hospital Schaw's Hospital Schaw's Hospital John Grieve David Arnot, Fullartons Gazetteer, Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 008 [Situation] In the N.E. [North East] end of Preston Village A large plain Stone building erected for and used as an Hospital. It is endowed by a fund left for the purpose by a James Schaw of Preston the funds in money and landed property are adequate to the support and education of twenty, 4, childern also to provide the establishment with a resident Schoolmaster & Mrs. And other necessary domestics It is under the government of 19 Trustees, the present Edifice was built in 1831.
OS1/15/37/25 POTTERY [Prestonpans] Pottery Pottery Pottery John Grieve David Arnot Fullarton's Gazetteer 008 [Situation] Close to the S.W. [South West] end of Prestonpans A pottery in the village of Prestonpans, where large quantities of earthen-ware vessels flower pots and Tiles are made, it constantly employs four persons and occasionally a greater number. It is the property of William Renny
OS1/15/37/25 [Page] 25 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/26 PRESTONPANS Prestonpans Prestonpans Prestonpans Prestonpans Preston Pans Preston Pans Prestonpans David Arnot John Grieve Grocer Fularton's Gazetteer P [Page] 567 Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 Forrests Map 1797 Johnston's Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] At the N.E [North East] Corner of Plan, about 1 mile S.W [South West] of the Village of Cockenzie A Large village Consisting of an irregular row of houses on both Sides of the line of Public road from Musselburgh to Aberlady having occeasional openings to Courts or alleys in the rear of the front rows where other small dwellings are situated, the houses are from one to two and three storys high Generally in good repair but quite irregular in position, and Occupied by fishermen agricultural Labourers Colliers Shopkeepers, and trade people, there is a Parish & Free Church in it also a Ph. [Parish] and Free Church school, one salt & one Soap manufactory one Brewery and a post office also a rope walk or manufactory. It is the property of different proprietors, There is one Pottery in the village. It was erected into a burgh of Barony in 1617. "The Charter of erection into a burgh-of-barony was given, in 1617, in favour of Sir John Hamilton of Preston; but it had reference, not strictly to the village of Prestonpans, but to the whole of the east or Preston barony of the parish; and it is visible in probably no other result than the officership of two baron bailies" Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scot: [Scotland] Vol [Volume] 2 P. [Page] 572.
OS1/15/37/26 [Page] 26 Parish of Prestonpans [Note relating to 'Prestonpans'] - See Correspondence relating to borough boundary annexed. [Signed T. Smith
OS1/15/37/26A [Page] 26A [Note attached to previous page, p. 26] Copy Ordnance Survey Office, 13 Royal Circus Edinburgh, 30th May 1853 Sir, I shall feel obliged if you would inform me whether the Six towns of Prestonpans and Gifford are Burghs of Barony with definite boundaries, which should be shown on the Ordnance Plans. I have the honor to be Sir, Your Most Obdt. Servt. [Obedient Servant] Signed Henry James, Capt. R. [Captain Royal] Engineers. Henry Davidson Esqr. Sherriff Substitute Haddington 30th June 1853 Sir, Yester was created a free Barony by Charles II but it is impossible now to define its boundaries. Lands in Perth, Peebles, & Edinburghshires are included, and many of the lands therein are since sold and attached to other Baronies. I believe Prestonpans to be similarly situated, & I do not think there is any neccessity for representing these Baronies on the Ordnance Survey. The laws regulating Baron Courts are now almost obsolete. Signed Your Obd. Servt. [Obedient Servant] Henry Davidson Original of this letter will be sent to O.M.O. [Ordnance Map Office] with other similar Correspondence relating to boundaries.
OS1/15/37/27 PRESTON Preston Preston Preston Preston Preston Preston John Grieve David Arnot Mr. Atkin Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scotland P. 565. Forrests Co. [County] Map Johnston's Co. [County] Map. 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile S [South] from Prestonpans A Small village about half a mile south of the village of Prestonpans. It consists of a row of dwelling houses on both sides of the public road broken at intervals they are from one to two storys high and with one or two exceptions of inferior Construction there was formerly a church at this place but it was in common with the village & Castle burned down in 1544. And no public building of any kind now exist in it. It was formerly noted for its "fair" held on the second Thursday in october and call'd St. "Jerome's Fair", in Fullartons Gazetteer P. 566 is the following. It has its name from being a Priests-town of the Monks of Newbattle it either had its origin, or acquired much of its importance from their grounds of Preston Grange which lay around it.
OS1/15/37/27 [Page] 27
OS1/15/37/28 TRANENT STATION Tranent Station Tranent Station Tranent Station Ticket on Station John Grieve David Arnot. 008 Situation] About 10 chains South of Preston. A Station house on the North British line of Railway near the Town of Tranent, it is a small neat dwelling house with offices adjoining it and is in good repair and Occupied by the Company's Station Master.
OS1/15/37/28 NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY North British Railway John Grieve David Arnot 008 [Situation] Extending E & W [East & West] thro' the Parish of Prestonpans A main line of railway from Edinburgh to Berwick a distance of about 57 miles it is in good repair & open for traffic. And has various branch lines connected with it. And is the property of the North British Railway Co. [Company].
OS1/15/37/28 [Page] 28 8D [Signed] T Smith.
OS1/15/37/29 AYRS WYND [Prestonpans] Ayrs Wynd Ayrs Wynd David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] In the S.W. [South West] end of Prestonpans. This name applies as a proper name to about 5 chains long of the Public road from that point where it branches off the High Street of Prestonpans and leading by the free church to Preston, it is partially bounded on both sides by dwelling houses from one to two Storys high in good repair and occupied
OS1/15/37/29 FREE CHURCH [Prestonpans] Free Church David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Immediately South of Prestonpans A Small plain Stone building erected for and used as a Free Church there is an appointed minister to it, and it has an accommodation of 500 sittings. It was built partly by subscription and partly by a grant from the free Church building fund.
OS1/15/37/29 [Page] 29 [Signed] T Smith CA [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/30 MANSE [Prestonpans] Manse (Parish Manse (Parish) David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Immediately South of Prestonpans A Small neat dwelling house with office houses all in good repair and erected by the Heritors of the Parish as a parsonage or dwelling-house for the Ph. [Parish] Minister.
OS1/15/37/30 SCHOOL [Prestonpans] School (Free Church) School (Free Church) David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 003 [Situation] In the Village of Prestonpans and close to the Manse A well constructed plain house one story high built for and occupied as a School house in connection With the Free Church there is an appointed teacher to it, receiving a small Salary besides Scholars fees. the average no. [number] of Scholars is about 90.
OS1/15/37/30 THORN TREE Thorntree Thorntree Thorn Tree Thorn Tree David Arnot John Grieve Grocer Forrests Co. [County] Map Johnstons Co. [County] Map 008 [Situation] About 1 1/4 miles N.E. [North East] from Dolphingston Four or five small thorn bushes forming one close clump, like one large bush and on the farm of Thorntree Mains it is Supposed by some persons to be the place where Colnl. [Colonel] Gardiner was kill'd at the battle of Prestonpans.
OS1/15/37/30 [Page] 30 Parish of Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/31 CHURCH [Prestonpans] Church (Ph) [Parish] Church (Ph) [Parish] David Arnot John Grieve 008 [Situation] About the Centre of Prestonpans A Small stone building of the unornamental Gothic style with a low spire, it was built for and is used as a Parish Ch. [Church] haveving a Parish attached to it also an appointed Ph. [Parish] Minister, its Accommodation Consists of about 750 sittings.
OS1/15/37/31 ROSEMOUNT Rosemount Rosemount David Arnot John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] In Prestonpans and Close to the Church. Four Small dwelling houses two storys high each and in good repair and occupied, they are the property of Thomas Skinners Esqr.
OS1/15/37/31 PARISH SCHOOL [Prestonpans] School (Ph.) [Parish] School (Ph.) [Parish] David Arnot, John Grieve Grocer 008 [Situation] In Prestonpans & Close to the Church A well constructed plain stone building two storys high built for and occupied as a Ph. [Parish] School there is an appointed Schoolmaster to it receiving the maximum Salary besides scholars fees, the average number of s[c]holars is about 200
OS1/15/37/31 [Page] 31 Parish of Prestonpans [Signed] T Smith CA [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/32 OX ROCKS Ox Rocks Ox Rocks David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] Opposite the S.W [South West] end of Prestonpans A Small piece of rocky foreshore on the Firth of Forth and close by the village of Prestonpans, the rocks are low and of a rough broken Surface.
OS1/15/37/32 HIGH STREET [Prestonpans] High Street High Street David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 003 [Situation] The principal St. in Prestonpans This name applies as a proper name to that portion of the public road from Musselburgh to Aberlady, which passes through the village of prestonpans as far as it is bounded by the houses of the village on both sides it is in good repair though almost inconveniently at some points
OS1/15/37/32 BANK HOUSE Bank House Bank House David Arnot John Grieve Grocer. 008 [Situation] In Prestonpans on the W. [West] side of Ayrs Wynd. A dwelling house two storys high with offices, all in good repair, attached to it is a small garden, it is the property of Mr. Fergusson of Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/32 [Page] 32 Parish of Prestonpans -- 8D Trace No. 2 [Signed] T Smith C.A. [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/33 Site of the BATTLE OF PRESTONPANS (1745) Site of Battle of Prestonpans A.D. 1745 Site of Battle of Prestonpans A.D. 1745 Site of Battle of Prestonpans A.D. 1745 Site of Battle of Prestonpans A.D. 1745 Battle of Preston John Grieve David Arnot Mr. Atkin Fullartons & Co. [Company] Gazetteer, Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile E [East] of Prestonpans. A tract of level arable ground lying between the villages of Preston Meadow Mill, Cockenzie And Seaton. It is the site of a battle fought on the morning of the 21st September 1745 between the royal forces under General Sir John Cope and the Highlanders under Prince Charles in which the former were defeated with considerable Loss including Sir John Cope's Military Chest Containing about £4000.0.0 And other stores. Sir J. Cope reached this place from his encampment, near Haddington, on the morning of the 20th, and took up a position, with the right Wing of his Army extending towards the Sea in direction of Portseaton And his left towards preston, he changed from and to this position again before the commencement of the battle the Highlanders after forming on Birslie Brae were marched round by a ravine on the farm of Ringanhead and across within 200 paces of a stonebridge afterwards built across Seaton Mill dam, the battle commenced at daylight on the morning of the 21st and lasted only a few minutes.
OS1/15/37/33 [Page] 33 [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/34 FOUNTAIN HEAD Fountain Head Fountain Head Sir G. Grant Suttie Mr. James Myles. 008 [Situation] About 3/4 miles N.W. [North West] of Myles Two cisterns from which water is supplied to the mansion house of Preston-Grange by means of pipes.
OS1/15/37/34 MANSE [Free Church, Prestonpans] Manse (Free Church) Manse (Free Church) Mr. Burns Dr. [Doctor] Anderson 008 [Situation] About 12 chains West of Shaws Hospital. A large and neatly built dwelling house with offices & garden attached, erected by voluntary contributions aided by a grant from the building fund of the church; the residence of the Free Church Clergyman.
OS1/15/37/34 [Page] 34
OS1/15/37/35 MORRISON'S HAVEN [village] Morrisons Haven Morrisons Haven Morrisons Haven Morrisons Haven Sir George G. Suttie Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Struthers Fullartons Gazetteer Stat: Acct: [Statistical Account] 008 [Situation] About 3/8 miles West of Preston Grange. A small village on the road leading from Musselburgh to Prestonpans. It consists of a few cottages occupied by Fishermen & colliers, a salt work, and a brick & tile manufactory. Sir George Grant Suttie is proprietor. (This village had its origin in the harbour of the same name) See Next Page
OS1/15/37/35 [Page] 35
OS1/15/37/36 FORT (16th Century) (Remains of) [Morrison's Haven] Fort (Remains of) Fort (Remains of) Fort (Remains of) Revd. [Reverend] J. Struthers, minister Prestonpans Mr. Anderson Morrisons Haven Mr. Turnbull Prestonpans. 008 [Situation] In the village of Morrison's Haven. This is the remains of an ancient Fort or fortification at present consisting of a portion of wall the dimensions of which is about 10 feet high, about 9 feet thick and it is perforated with 3 or 4 circular apertures each about 3 or 4 Inches in diameter, apparently intended for shooting arrows or other missiles. This was the north side or that fronting the sea. The fort was apparently of a rectangular or oblong shape. Part of the walls of a farm house and its offices were originally part of this as there are part of them of uncommon thickness, within the fort was a draw well which is now covered up. "Morrisons/Achesons haven fort - The remains of which still exist at south end of harbour & in connection with which there is an underground passage running in a south easterly direction for some hundred yards was originally constructed about 1547 when John Acheson an officer in Scots guard at Paris having offered to erect it under certain conditions was sent over with a commendatory letter from the King of France to Mary of Guise then Regent in Scotland. Cromwell is said to have destroyed it after the battle of Dunbar & little more than foundation is now visible" Correspondence relating to Antiquities from the Revd. [Reverend] J. Struthers minister of Prestonpans to Capt. [Captain] James R.E. [Royal Engineers]
OS1/15/37/36 [Page] 36
OS1/15/37/37 COWTHROPLE or DOLPHINGSTON (Ruins of) Mansion House (Ruins of) Mansion House (Ruins of) Mansion House (Ruins of) John Park Charles Whyte Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers 008 [Situation] In the village of Dolphingston The ruins of the old mansion house of Cowthrople, situated in a garden a little south of Dolphingston. Extract from Stat: Acct: [Statistical Account] page 311 Ruin at Dolphingston. "In the hamlet of this name, through which is the great road to London, are several broken walls and gables, obviously of very ancient erection. From the peculiar affection cherished by the monks for this district of country, it is certainly allowable in the absence of any distinct information regarding their origin and use, to suppose that here they had another pleasant and profitable abode." "Dolphingston - ruin - The remains of old mansion house of Cowthrople - which with some lands adjoining was held in feu from the monks of Newbattle at the Reformation, by James Adamson, and on its passing to a cadet of the family of Ainslie of Dolphingston in Roxburghshire about the beginning of the 17th century, the name of Cowthrople was changed for that of Dolphington or as usually written in this district Dolphingston or Dolphinstoune - Subsequently it passed to one Richard Waird who was succeeded by his son of same name in 1680 and this latter Richard again in 1683 by his daughter from whom it shortly afterwards passed to the Morrisons & has since been united with Prestongrange" (Communication from Revd. [Reverend] J. Struthers, Minister of Prestonpans)
OS1/15/37/37 [Page] 37 [Note relating to 'Cowthrople or Dolphingston (Ruins of)'] - Cowthrople or Dolphingston to be written on plan as it appears by the above communication from the minister of Preston- -pans the name was originally Cowthrople and afterwards Dolphingston. To be written in German Text on account of its remote age
OS1/15/37/38 PRESTONPANS [parish] Parish of Prestonpans Parish of Prestonpans Parish of Prestonpans Full. [Fullartons] Gazetteer Stat Acct. [Statistical Account] of Co. [County]. Johnston Co. [County] Map 008 A parish being one of the smallest in Scotland, situated in the Northwest extremity of Haddingtonshire. It contains about 760 acres, and is about 2 1/2 miles long, and about one mile broad. It is bounded on the north by the Frith of Forth, On the east and south by the parish of Tranent and on the west by Inveresk in Edinburghshire. It is in the Presbytery of Haddington and Synod of Lothian & Tweeddale. Patron Sir G.G. Suttie Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/15/37/38 [Page] 38
OS1/15/37/39 [Page] 39 PARISH OF TRANENT PLAN 8D INDEX Names of Objects -- Pages Tranent (Parish of) Bankhead -- 45 Bankton - Formerly Col. [Colonel] Gardiner's House -- 45 Bankpark Pottery -- 45 Beattie's Row -- 47 Birsly Brae -- 48 Birsly -- 48 Cockenzie Harbour -- 43 Corsehouse -- 51 Easter Falside -- 49 Falside Hill -- 50 Gavins Lee Colliery -- 50 Johnnie Cope's Hole -- 43 Johnnie Cope's Road -- 46 Myles -- 50 Myles Covert -- 51 St. Clement's Wells -- 50 Standard Stone -- 52 Thorntree Mains -- 44 Thorntree Colliery -- 44
OS1/15/37/40 [Page] 40 [Blank page]
OS1/15/37/41 BANKHEAD Bankhead Bankhead Bankhead Bankhead John Grieve David Arnot, Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnston's Map 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile E [East] of Dolphingston A Small dwelling house in good repair, with a small garden attached to it. It is the property of John Watson Esq. of Gayfield Square Edinbro. [Edinburgh]
OS1/15/37/41 [Page] 41 Parish of Tranent -- 8D [Signed] T Smith
OS1/15/37/42 [Page] 42 [Blank page]
OS1/15/37/43 COCKENZIE HARBOUR Harbour Harbour Port of Cockenzie Cockenzie Harbour Cockenzie Harbour John Grieve David Arnot Lamp of Lothian P. 198, _ Caddell Esq. Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Struthers 008 [Situation] About 1 mile N.E. [North East] of Prestonpans A Small harbour on the firth of fort[h] erected at the joint expence of William Robert and F.H. Cadell of Cockenzie for the purpose of shipping coal from Tranent Collierys it is formed by two projecting Semi-circular piers, built in 1832 at a cost under £5000.0.0, its entrance is clear and of easy access, from hence coals are ship'd to England France Germany Portugal and the northern parts of Scotland.
OS1/15/37/43 JOHNNIE COPE'S HOLE Johnie Cope's Hole Johnie Cope's Hole John Grieve David Arnot. 003 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.E. [North East] from Preston A low level field of arable surface on the farm of "Thorntree Mains" on the morning of the battle of Prestonpans (1745) the Commander of the Royal forces Occupied a position in this field And after Suffering Some reverses he, (Sir John Cope) fled with a remnant of his army fled by Bankton house towards "Birslie Brae And on by Soutra hill to Coldstream the same night In all the Scotch ballads the spelling is Johnnie although Jamieson gives Johnie but the former is more in accordance with analogy & preferable to be used on ordnance plans
OS1/15/37/43 [Page] 43 Parish of Tranent -- 8D Trace No. 2 8D [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/44 THORNTREE MAINS Thorntree Mains Thorntree Mains Thorntree Mains Thorntree Mains Thorntree-mains John Grieve David Arnot Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1841 Forrest's Co. [County] Map, 1799, List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 1 1/2 miles NE [North East] from Dolphingston A small farm house and office houses all in good repair, attached to it is a farm of Ground the property of the Earl of Wemyss. A part of this farm is a portion of the Site of the battle of Prestonpans (1745) and the Soldiers Slain in this battle were buerried near the farm house. the site of this last cannot be pointed out.
OS1/15/37/44 THORNTREE COLLIERY Thorntree Colliery Thorntree Colliery John Grieve David Arnot. 008 [Situation] About 1 1/8 miles N.E [North East] from Dolphingston. An old coalpit on the farm of Thorntree Mains large quantities of coal were formerly taken from it is not worked at present.
OS1/15/37/44 [Page] 44 Parish of Tranent [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/45 BANKTON Formerly Col. Gardiner's House Bankton Bankton Bankton Bankton Bankton John Grieve David Arnot, Forrests Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnston's Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 7/8 of a mile N.E. by E. [North East by East] from Dolphingston A Small mansion house with office houses all in good repair. In 1745 it was the property and residence of Colonel Gardiner a devout and brave officer who lost his life at the battle of Prestonpans he received his death wounds near the west end of Meadowmill within 1/4 of a mile of his own house, - the mansion is still in good repair and is now used as a farm house & is the property of Mr. McDougal. The house of Bankton was lately burnt down (since the Descriptive Remarks were written) and the walls are now standing roofless
OS1/15/37/45 BANKPARK POTTERY Bankpark Pottery Bankpark Pottery John Grieve David Arnot. 008 [Situation] Nearly a mile E by N. [East by North] from Dolphingston A large Pottery and Brick work where large quantities of Bricks flower Pots and earthenware vessels are manufacter'd also, Tiles are sometimes made at it but, seldom, and only in Small quantities it is the property of Mr. John Grieve of Preston Lodge.
OS1/15/37/45 [Page] 45 Parish of Tranent [Signed] T Smith C/A [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/46 JOHNNIE COPE'S ROAD Johnie Cope's Road Johnie Cope's Road Johnie Cope's Road John Grieve David Arnot, Lamp of Lothian. 008 [Situation] About 3/4 of a mile N.E. [North East] from Dolphingston and leading from Tranent Station to near Bankhead This name applies as a proper nam[e] to a piece of an old public road from Tranent Railway Station to its Junction with the Musselburgh and Tranent road at Birslie Brae, on the morning of the battle of Prestonpans General Sir John Cope collected about 450 of Gardner's and Hamiltons Dragoons & fled by the line of road towards Birslie Brae and on by Soutra hill to Coldstream, from this Circumstance it got the given name.
OS1/15/37/46 [Page] 46 Parish of Tranent [Note relating to 'Johnnie Cope's Road'] - see Note page 46 [Signed] T Smith CA [Civilian Assistant]
OS1/15/37/47 BEATTIE'S ROW Beattie's Row Beattie's Row John Park Charles Whyte Tranent 008 [Situation] About 15 chains E.S.E. [East South East] from Dolphingston A row of cottages in good repair occupied by cottars & miners - the property of Sir George Grant Suttie.
OS1/15/37/47 [Page] 47 Parish of Tranent -- 8D [Entry for ' Monastery (Ruins of)' is crossed out] - Cancelled - See Page 37 [Signed] D. Mason
OS1/15/37/48 BIRSLY BRAE Birsley Brae Birsley Brae Birsly Birsly Birsley John Shiells Myles Charles Whyte Forrests Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnston's Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 1/2 mile E by S [East by South] from Dolphingston A rising ground situate about 1/2 a mile W. [West] of the Village of Tranent it is famous in Scottish History as being the Route of General Cope When retreating with his army from the Battle of Prestonpans
OS1/15/37/48 BIRSLY Birsley Birsley Birsly Birsly Birsley John Shiells Charles Whyte Forrests Co. [County] map 1799 Johnstons Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] Near 3/4 of a mile E by S [East by South] from Dolphingston A small cottage in good repair, the property of J. Cadell Esq. it was formerly a farm house
OS1/15/37/48 WASHING WELL Washing Well Washing Well John Shiells Johnston's Co. [County] Map 008 [Situation] About 1 1/8 miles E.S.E [East South East] from Dolphingston A small row of cottages in bad repair occupied by Miners the property of J. Cadell Esq.
OS1/15/37/48 [Page] 48 Parish of Tranent [Signed] D. Mason
OS1/15/37/49 WESTER WINDYGOUL Wester Windygoul Wester Windygoul Wester Windygoul West Windygoul West Windygoull R. Stenhouse W. [Wester] Windygoul John Shiells Forrests Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnstons Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 1 1/8 miles E.S.E. [East South East] from Dolphingston A farm house in good repair with out offices and a farm of land attached the property of J. Cadell Esq.
OS1/15/37/49 WINDYGOUL COLLIERY Windygoul Colliery R. Stenhouse John Shiells 008 [Situation] About 1 1/8 miles E.S.E. [East South East] from Dolphingston A coal pit on the farm of Wester Windygoul The property of J. Cadell Esq.
OS1/15/37/49 EASTER FALSIDE Easter Falside Easter Falside Easter Falside Falside John Shiells Co. [County] Map 1799 Johnstons Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 7/8 of a mile S. [South] of Dolphingston A house in middling repair formerly a farm house, the property of Sir George Grant Suttie.
OS1/15/37/49 [Page] 49 Parish of Tranent [Signed] D. Mason.
OS1/15/37/50 MYLES Myles Myles Myles Miles Myles John Shiells Charles Whyte Co. [County] Map Johnston's Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington 008 [Situation] About 7/8 of a mile S.S.E. [South South East] from Dolphingston A farm house in good repair with a farm of land and out offices attached the property of Sir George Grant Suttie
OS1/15/37/50 ST CLEMENT'S WELLS St. Clements Well St. Clements Well St. Clements Wells St. Clements Wells St. Clements Wells John Shiells Charles Whyte Johnston's Co. [County] Map List of Farms Co. [County] Haddington Revd. [Reverend] J Struthers 008 [Situation] About 1 mile S.S.W. [South South West] from Dolphingston A farm house in good repair with out offices and a farm of land attached the property of Sir George Grant Suttie
OS1/15/37/50 FALSIDE HILL Falside Hill Falside Hill John Shiells Fullartons Gazetteer 008 [Situation] About 1 mile S. [South] from Dolphingston A Low arable hill on the farms of Meikle Falside & Myles on it is a Trigonometrical Station called Fellside
OS1/15/37/50 [Page] 50 Parish of Tranent -- 8D [Signed] D. Mason
OS1/15/37/51 GAVINS LEE COLLIERY Gavins Lee Colliery Gavins Lee Colliery R Stenhouse Archibald McKinley 008 [Situation] About 1 1/4 miles S.E [South East] from Dolphingston A coal pit on the Estate of W.B. Callender about a chain to the south of the shaft is two small cottages in bad repair occupied by miners
OS1/15/37/51 MYLES COVERT Myles Covert John Shiells Charles Whyte 008 ; 013 [Situation] About 1 1/8 miles S.S.E. [South South East] from Dolphngston A small enclosure consisting of Fze. [Furze] and Trees for the preservation of game the property of Sir G.G. Suttie & W.B. Callender Esq.
OS1/15/37/51 CORSEHOUSE Corsehouse Corsehouse Corsehouse John Shiells Archibald McKinley Co. [County] Map 008 [Situation] About 1 3/8 miles S.E. by S. [South East by South] from Dolphingston Three rows of cottages one storey high and in bad repair occupied by Miners the property of W.B. Callender Esq.
OS1/15/37/51 [Page] 51 Parish of Tranent -- 8D [Signed] D. Mason.
OS1/15/37/52 STANDARD STONE Standard Stone (Supposed) Standard Stone (Supposed) Standard Stone (Supposed) Alexander Lauder, Goshen Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Struthers Mr. Turnbull 008 [Situation] Near to the summit of Falside Hill A stone about two feet square inserted the ground, in the centre is a hole of about 2 inches in diameter. This is supposed to have been the stone in which the Rebel Standard was placed the evening previous to the battle of Prestonpans. Another tradition current in the locality calls it the stone in which Queen Mary's Standard was fixed at the field of Carberry Hill.
OS1/15/37/52 [Page] 52 Parish of Tranent [Signed] J. Carpenter C. Asst. [Civilian Assistant] 25th May 1853. [Signed] H James. Cap. R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] 25 May 1853.
OS1/15/37/53 [Page] 53 [Volume] 37 OS1/15/37 [Date Stamp] ORDNANCE SURVEY MS STORE 19 APR. [APRIL] 92 [1892] Co [County] HADDINGTON PLAN 8D Names of Parishes -- Pages Prestonpans -- 1 Tranent -- 39
OS1/15/37/53A [Page] 53A OSO [Ordnance Survey Office] Edin. [Edinburgh] 14th Decr. [December] 1855 My dear Colonel, The Revd. [Reverend] J. Struthers is quite correct upon the three points named in your note. 1. The Old quarry. There never has been a quarry there or stone raised, stone was brought there and part of a Bridge built in connection with a branch of the N.B.R. [North British Railway]. The whole field is now under [Continued on page 53B]
OS1/15/37/53B [Page] 53B [Continued from Page 53A] cultivation and yielded Barley last year. [see transcription note 2] 2 The date on Northfield House is 1611. [see transcription note 3] 3 The mile stone is an old stone with Edinr. [Edinburgh] 9 cut on it. [see transcription note 4] With reference to the other point in the Revd. [Reverend] gentleman's letter. The house designated "North British Railway Tavern" alter' an old House, has a large colored Board over the door with these words painted on it in large letters. [see transcription note 5] Truism - The impopriety rests with those that made it so, not with the O.S. [Ordnance Survey] Yours truly A.D. Keir
OS1/15/37/53B 2 An insertion reads - Now erased from plan & Copper plate. [Initialled] B.K.S. 17/12/55 3 An insertion reads - Altered to 1611 on plan in Name Book and Copper plate. [Initialled] B.K.S. 17/12/55 [1855] 4 An insertion reads - Altered to 9 on plan & Copper plate. [Initialled] B.K.S. 17/12/55 [1855] 5 The author of the letter has drawn a sketch of the North British Railway Tavern sign.