List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
The Girthgate
The Girthgate
Mr. William Paterson
Chamber's Gazatteer
Old Stat: Acct [Statistical Account] of Melrose 1769
018 The Remains of a road passing over Soutra Hill by the Aisle, and Called by Some the "Pilgrims Road" but properly The Girthgate. It was the old road used by wayfarers Pilgrims & others, from the north to Melrose Abbey. It is defaced at the Crossing of Dean Burn and its Course thro' [through] the enclosed land Cannot be clearly traced, but it is very distinct through the unenclosed part of Soutra, on the East side of the Aisle and on its west side till it Crosses the Armet Water

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 33
Plan 18. D. Parish of Fala, District of Soutra

[Signed] James Carpenter C. Asst. [Civilian Assistant] 15 December 1853
[Signed] Henry James Cap RE [Captain Royal Engineers] 17 December 1853.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nora Edwards, Douglas Montgomery

  Location information for this page.