Essential website maintenance

On Tuesday 11 June, a small number of our websites started experiencing some infrastructure-related issues. We are working to restore the functionality affected by these issues and anticipate this will be resolved by next week.

OS1/10/48/111

No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ROMAN ROAD [Tundergarth parish] Roman Road
Roman Road
Roman Road
Roman Road
Mr. Johnstone of Gibson
Mr. Robert Jardine
Fullarton's Gazetteer
Roman Antiquities of Scotland by R. Stuart.
051 [Situation] From N.W. [North West] to S.E. [South East] of this Plan.
The vestiges of a Roman Road, very indistinct, but traceable by a hard pavement in some places, in others by stones and gravel, particularly through ploughed fields All of it shewn on the traces has been pointed out by Mr. Johnstone of Gibson a gentleman who seems to take an interest in Antiquities It is also well known to many of the Gentlemen farmers of the district each of whom can point out the site.
It does not appear to have had a ditch or bank on either sides but to have been formed by removing the loose soil from the top, and filling its place by successive layers of gravel and stones intermixed. This is part of the Roman military way from Carlisle which entered the Co. [County] of Dumfries at Longtown, thence by Birrens, and Birrensworkhill (sometimes written Brunsworkhill) crosses Milk Water where it is not traceable thence by Lockerbie to Gallaberry where it divides into branches for Nithsdale and Annandale.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 111
Parish of Tundergarth -- Plan 51.7 Trace 1

[Signed] M. Donohue
Febr. [February] 1857

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Brenda Pollock

  Location information for this page.