List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
MOLLS CASTLE (Site of) Moll's Castle (British Fort)
Moll's Castle
Molls Castle
Norwood Camp
The Camp
Maul's Castle
Mall's Castle
British Camp
Mr. George Jamieson, farmer
Mr. Hugh Miller of Norwood farm
Mr. William Jamieson farmer
Mr. Joseph Catton
Mr. John Douglas
Johnston's County Map
Genl. [General] Roy's Map of Roman Antiquities in Lower Annandale
New Stat Acct [Statistical Account] of St. Mungo.
051 [Situation] Nearly 1 mile S.S.W [south South West] of Murrayfield
The vestiges of An Ancient entrenchment on the farm of Norwood, which has been a Camp of the round form. The existing features of its Circumference &c. are distinctly traceable by a slight elevation, which formed the base of the outward Rampart. The N.W. [North West] Side bounded by a quicKwood hedge represent the remains of banK Very Clearly, where it remains unremoved, There are no vestiges of a fosse, or ditch, the whole is Arable, And consists of a shallow Concavity, within. It is recognised as being a Roman Camp. Being near Brunswark hill (one of the principal Roman Camps in the County) it may have been used by the Romans as a watch, or exploratory post for Such posts were usual in that time but it is doubtful that they Constructed the round Camp.
It is either Danish or British which is yet a mystery. Moll's Castle is the old original name, and the correct name.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 21
Parish of Saint Mungo -- Plan 51.6 Trace 4

[Signed] M. Donohue
Jany. [January] 1857

Transcriber's notes

Molls Thorn scored through

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, DANIALSAN

  Location information for this page.