List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CASTLE CAMPBELL (In Ruins) Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Castle Campbell
Act of Scottish Parliament dated 1489
Mr. Thomas Bradshaw
Mr. John Clark
Mr. Hugh Munro
Old Statistical Account
Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scotland
New Statistical Account
Stobie's County Map
Johnston's County Map
134.03 The ruins of Castle Gloom or Castle Campbell is the principal antiquity in the parish. In the year 1489 by Act of Scottish Parliament, the name of Castle Gloom was changed to Castle Campbell, by which name it is now generally known. It is not known when or by whom it was first built. The thickness of the walls plainly show that it was intended for a place of security in those times when Scottish barons were continually at war with one another. It seems that large additions have been made to the original structure. The latest built is obviously the southern part, which is now in a state of perfect ruin; but the Keep, which appears to be the oldest part of the edifice, is still comparatively in a good state of preservation. The outlines of the hall with its lofty ceiling, and other rooms of the same magnitude are still easily traced, with the narrow openings of windows in walls of enormous thickness, which must have given the rooms an air of magnificence and of gloomy grandeur to their inmates, as well as
[continued on page 6]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 5
Parish of Dollar

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Murray

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.