Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/5/7/3

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHIRNSIDE PARISH Chirnside (Ph) [Parish] Chalmers Caledonia
Fullertons Gazeteer of Scotland
New Statistical Acct [Account] Berwickshire
Map of Berwickshire
011; 017 [Continued] on the side of a hill - whereon was a Cairn. Now, Carn, or Charn, in the Cambro-British, and Gaelic languages, signifies a heap; Secondarily, a sepulchral tumulus: And, of this Gaelic word the oblique Case is Chuirn; and to this form of the word the Saxon settlers applied their affix Side, to denote its position -- Of old, this church was a Rectory, in the Deanery of the Merse - In the ancient taxatio, the rectory of Chirnside was rated at 50 Merks - In Bagimont's Roll, the tenth of the rectory of Chirnside is rated at £4.0.0 -" The Church is as old as the year 1573 -
The Manse was rebuilt in 1757; and the office houses, which belong to it are still more recent --- There is no portion of Chirnside Parish within any other Parish There is no portion of any other Parish within that of Chirnside --

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 3
Parish of Chirnside -- W Beatty

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator

  Location information for this page.