Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/5/6/5

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHANNELKIRK (Ph) [Parish] Channelkirk (Ph) [Parish] Continued [from page 4]
the Roman Road. again became Visible, & is here named Ox-road, as it leads up to a Strong station called Blackchester. From this station, the Roman road passes on Northward, by the west of Oxton; and in the Course of half a mile, again becomes distinct, & continues obvious to every eye, as it crosses the Western Stream of the Leaden, in its course to the Roman Station, at Channelkirk. From this commanding post, the Roman road proceeded forward to Soutrahill"

"The Roman Camp at Chamelkirk appears to have been of considerable extent, and very similar to the Roman Camp at Cleghorn, Clydesdale - but as the greatest part of the surrounding ramparts. of this camp has been levelled its exact dimensions cannot now be ascertained. The west side, and part of the East only remained in November 1803.
The west side, exhibits a gate - which is covered by a traverse; and at the S W [South West] corner, there is a prodigious redoubt. The area of this camp, is now occupied by the church, the churchYard and the Ministers Glebe of Channelkirk, and extends to almost 5 acres" --
Roys Mil Antq [Military Antiquities] Page 61. pl [plate] 6 - & M S [Manuscript] by Mr Kinghorn.

Continued entries/extra info

[apge] 5
Channelkirk -- W Beatty

[Note] -- Inquiries have been
made respecting this
Roman Road. and it
cannot be pointed out

[Note] -- There are no remains
of this Camp existing,
it has been levelled -
Every enquiry has been
made respecting it.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, Bizzy- Moderator, krazykaka

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.