Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/5/3/61

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
AYTON CASTLE Ayton Castle
Ayton Castle
Ayton Castle
John MacIntyre
Thomas Bowhill. Esqr.
Captain Innes. Ayton Castle
012.05 A large and elegant Mansion or Castle 5 stories high, Built in the style of the old Scottish Manor Houses (very irregular and not in accordance with any defined Order of Architecture) - Attached are commodious Offices. Kitchen gardens. & Pleasure grounds Bowling Greens etc, It is situated near the centre of an Ornamental Park. and is well sheltered with Shrubberies. & Plantations, It is occupied by the proprietor. Captain Innes,
The statistical acct. [account] Berwick. Page 135. in speaking of castles says. Among these the Castle of Ayton seems to have held a distinguished place, as we learn from a siege to which it was subjected by "Surry", the renowned General of Henry 7th in 1497 - when, as Ford in his dramatic chronicle sayeth or singeth, This strongest of their forts. Old Ayton Castle was, yielded and demolished. It seems to have been founded long after the conquest, by a Norman of the name of De Vescie - who having formed a settlement on the banks of the Eye, erected a castle & collected his Vassals around him - The village of Ayton sprang up under its walls for mutual protection - The family name of De. Vescie was afterwards changed into that of De Eitun - no traces of the above Castle now remain. indeed the modern house which stood upon the site of the Castle was burnt to the ground in 1834. & the present one is quite a new building.
CHURCH Church (Parish)
Church (Parish)
Church (Parish)
John MacIntyre
Thomas Bowhill, Esqr
Mr Stark. Ayton.
012.05 The parochial church stands nearly ½ of a Mile south from the village of Ayton. in a beautiful situation on the south bank of the Water of Eye. and comprises part of the Walls of an ancient pile and contains 456 sittings
The Statistical account of Berwickshire Page 144. sates - "Supposed to have been formed in the 12th century - Besides the present place of worship, consisting in part of the ancient walls, there still remains entire, those of the south transept, In this portion of the building there is a stone window. with circular & not pointed arches. which may be a guide to the antiquarian as to the age of the erection - In the gable of the present church there is a large circular arch, nearly the whole width of the wall, but now built up, which must have formed the spacious communication with the chancel. None of the seats are free except the communion benches, one or two of which are left for use in the middle passage but seldom required. The Pews are the property of of the heritors for themselves, their tenants & servants. A few seats were given by the heritors to the Kirk session to be let for the benefit of the Poor. but for these little or no rent is received.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 61
Parish of Ayton -- Sheet 12 No 5 -- Trace 1 -- Collected by John W Rodgers

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, douglas

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.