Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/3/47/8

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
MACRAE'S MONUMENT Macrae's Monument
Macrae's Monument
Macrae's Monument
Obelisk
James McCowan
George James Laurie D.D. [Doctor of Divinity]
David Hutchison
Johnston's County Map
027.07 A square building with Corinthian [pillars] at each corner and niches at each [side] It is a very prominent object as it [is] Situated on pretty high ground about [½] mile N.W. [North West] of the village of Monkton [erected] in 1750 total height from the base about [--] feet
WATSONHALL Watsonhall
Watsonhall
Watsonhall
James McCowan
George James laurie DD [Doctor of Divinity]
David Hutchison
027.07 A row of Cothouses one story thatched middling repair the property of Mr [Beard]
LITTLE MUIRHOUSE Little Muirhouse
Little Muirhouse
Little Muirhouse
James McCowan
George James Laurie DD [Doctor of Divinity]
David Hutchison
027.07 A small cot house about ¼ of a mile N [North of] the village of Monkton one story [slated] in good repair the property of William Campbell Esq

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 8
Parish of Monkton & Prestwick

[Note]
Erected in 1748 rebuilt, having fallen, in 1750 by John
Swan in honor of James Macrae who, from an orphan
message boy rose to the distinction of Governor of Madras. He
died in or before 1748 and was buried in the churchyard of
Monkton. See Patterson's History of Ayrshire pp [pages] 386-7

Transcriber's notes

Situation of Macraes Monument should be North East from Monkton, according to the Map. DM

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

DANIALSAN, JCB

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.