Essential maintenance
HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:
- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)
- Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)
- Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)
General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

OS1/3/5/31

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ELBA STREET [Ayr] Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] Extends from John Street about 16 Chains in a N E.[North East] direction -
This is a Street principally consisting of houses 1 & 2 Storeys high slated & thatched & whose occupants are those of the Working Class
BACK ROW [Ayr] Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] South West of the South end of James Street
A small Row of Houses 1 and 2 Storeys high slated & thatched and tenanted chiefly by the Working Class
BOGHALL ROW [Ayr] Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] North East of the South end of James Street.
A small Row of Houses 1 and 2 Storeys high slated & thatched and tenanted chiefly by the Working Class
CHURCH STREET [Ayr] Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] Extends from John Street about 6 Chains in a N. E [North East] direction -
This is a Short Street but Contains some Good Houses - the inferior houses North of Content Street are 1 Storey, tenanted by Weavers
CRAIGIE PARK Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] Situate on the South East of the Town of Ayr & North of the River Ayr
An Extensive and beautiful Park and well wooded with an avenue leading to Craigie House. the Seat of James Campbell Esq
BLACKHOUSE Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] N. E [North East] of Plan on the Road to Mauchline
This is a Superior mansion, surrounded with woods and has extensive outhouses & Gardens attached - the property of Mr Gordon
Supposed Site of DOMINICAN MONASTERY [Ayr] Nil John Moore
W. Bone
Robert Gray
033 [Situation] South West Corner of Plan (See Column of Remarks)
A Monastery of Dominican or black or preaching friars as they were variously Called was founded by the Bishop of St Andrews in the year 1230 & a charter Granted in its favor by Alexander ll dated at Forfar in 1242. This Charter was Confirmed by Robert Bruce at Girvan in the 23rd year of his reign This monastery was the first of the Dominican order that was Established in Scotland & its revenues became Considerable both by original Endowment and subsequent donations. ++ At the Reformation the whole of what belonged to the monastery was bestowed on the burgh of Ayr by a Charter of Queen Mary's +++ The Building belonging to it were extensive but it is somewhat surprising that not only no vestige of them remain but that it is impossible to ascertain the precise situation on which they stood. In all probability they were placed somewhere about the head of what is now Called Mill Street extending from Wallace Tower down towards the River
Stat Acct [Statistical Account] of Ayrshire

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 31
Sheet 8 St Quivox

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, JCB

  Location information for this page.