List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST CONGAN'S CHURCH (Remains of) Church (Remains of) Revd. [Reverend] J. Duncan Aberdeen
T. Lawerence Turriff
Revd. Dr.[Reverend Doctor] John Cruickshank Turriff
011 This name applies to the Remains of the old parish Church of Turriff, dedicated to St. Congan. It is Situated at the West End of High Street, on the Summit of a lofty bank, sloping down rapidly on the South touards the Burn of Turriff. The date of its erection is not certainly known, but it is supposed to have been built in the eleventh century, whether it was founded by St. Congan himself, or dedicated to his memory by another founder is uncertain. It was originally 120 feet long by 10 feet wide, without any architectural features suggestive of its date. In 1214 Marjory, Countess of Buchan gave it to the monks of St. Thomas of Abroath, the grant being
[continued on next page]

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 69
County of Aberdeen. Parish of Turriff.

Note: [page signed by] John Bucklow Lce. Corpl. [Lance Corporal] R.E. [Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

GreenflyNZ, Ron Dyce

  Location information for this page.