List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of TEMPLARS HOUSE [Turriff] (Site of)
Templars House
Revd. [Reverend] J. Duncan Aberdeen
Revd. [Reverend] John Cruickshank Turriff
J. Lawence Turriff
011 The Site of an ancient house by some called "Templar's Leu", by others called "Templar's House". Supposed to have been inhabited by the Knights Templar's in the thirteenth century, they were a body established at Jerusalem about the year 1118, and vowed to defend the Temple, and to guard and entertain Pilgrims and Strangers; They wore a white habit with a red cross, and were called by some the Red Friars. They were a Secular body as well as religious, therefore their houses had no dedicatory name, further than, Templar's House or religious House.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 65
County of Aberdeen. Parish of Turriff.

Note: [page signed by] John Bucklow Lce. Corpl. [Lance Corporal] R.E. [Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

GreenflyNZ, Ron Dyce

  Location information for this page.