List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
SLAINS Continued [from page 2]

"Masonry. It was the Seat of the noble family of Errol, and was demolished in 1594, by order of James VI, on occasion of the Earl of Errol having joined in the Earl of Huntly's rebellion. The Parish is in the presbytery of Ellon and Synod of Aberdeen. The Parish Church was built about the year 1800, and contains 654 sittings. The present parish of Slains comprehends the Ancient parishes of Slains and Forvie, and seems as to its ecclesiastical property to have all belonged before the Reformation to one of the Colleges.
In 1837 and near to the "Round Top" two stone cists were found, each measuring about 3 feet in length, about 1 foot 8 inches broad and 20 inches deep, and were lying East and West, and contained unctuous matter.
There is no portion of this parish detached nor portion, or portions of any other parish enclosed within the boundary thereof.
[Signed] R. Dickson Sapper R.E. [Royal Engineers]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 3
Aberdeenshire -- Parish of Slains

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, lauren, Kate51- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.