List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of ST NINIAN'S CHAPEL (site of) St. Ninian's Chapel
(site of) St. Ninian's Chapel
(site of) St. Ninian's Chapel
Statistical Account 1843
Mr. John Mackie, Chapelpark
Mr. William Black Flinthills
037 "Besides the parish Church, there was before the Reformation, a Chapel at a place called Chapeltown, the name of which remains unchanged, and there was another Chapel at Andet dedicated to St. Ninian, That last mentioned must have stood near a house called Chapel-park where there is a good spring that still goes under the name of the Chapel Well, and where until recently, traces of a churchyard were distinctly visible, they having disappeared about fifty years ago - under the plough". vide Statistical Account. page 966.
Site of CHAPEL WELL (site of) Chapel Well
(site of) Chapel Well
(site of) Chapel Well
Statistical Account.
Mr. John Mackie
Mr. William Black
037 There formerly was a good spring well here called Chapel Well but a few years ago the farmer drained it off and filled it up.
CAIRNS [farms] Cairns
Valuation Roll 1859-60
A.F. Douglas. Esqr. Factor
Mr. George Brebner. Tenant
029 This name applies to three farms with. offices, gardens, &c. attached the property of The Right Honble. [Honourable] The Earl of Aberdeen. There evidently must have been Some Cairns in this district at one time as the hilly and elevated position would indicate, and which was the origin of this name. but at present there are none visible on the ground

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 65
Parish of Methlick

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, EAS

  Location information for this page.