List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Revd. [Reverend] J. Davidson
Mr. J Davidson, Provost
Mr. C. B. Davidson, Town Clerk
Oliver & Boyd's Almanac 1865 - 66 Statistical Account 1843
Statistical Account 1843
Fullarton's Gazeteer Vol I.
Halliburton's County Directory (1862)
045; 054 "Inverury, or as it was sometimes formerly written Ennerurie, lies between the Don and the Ury, and extending to the confluence of these rivers, thence derives its name. It is bounded on the west by Chapel of Garioch; on the south by the Don; and on the north and east by the Ury. Its length from east to west is nearly 4, its breadth from north to south something more than 2 English miles; and it contains fully 5100 imperial acres. The vale of Inverury, in which the town stands, and the haughs and lower grounds along the river's side, embrace about 1000 acres of light, fertile loam incumbent chiefly on sand. The ground gradually rises towards the west and terminates in three hills within the parish, almost equidistant from each other, and separated by straths or valleys; that on the south is called the hill of Manar, the middle hill is named Knockinglew, that on the north the hill of Drimmies. Perhaps the first mention made of Inverury is in the short narrative of King Eth. It is noticed in a charter of date about 1178 by David Earl of Huntingdon, brother of King William the Lyon. Prior to this time a Castle existed at Inverury. for in 1180, Norman, son of Malcolm, Constable of the Castle of Inveruin, witnesses a charter, preserved in the Advocates Library. It was situated near where the Bass now stands, and is the first fortified place in Aberdeenshire on record - the castles of Aberdeen and Kildrummy dating no higher than the thirteenth century. Inverury was probably the head burgh of the Garioch as early as the days of William the Lyon. Its original charter appears to have been lost, for it is, by a novadamus, erected anew by Queen Mary, June 22nd 1558: and on the 17th September 1663, on the petition of John, Earl of Mar, it was appointed to be the head burgh of his Lordship's regality of the Garioch. Inverury was the scene of a contest between the Pretender's and the King's troops on the 23rd December 1745! Extract from New Statistical Account of Aberdeenshire dated 1843, page 677- "Inverury was dedicated to Saint Apollinaris, disciple of Saint Peter, and first Bishop of Ravenna"
Extract from Statistical collections 1843, page 582 over

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 1

Parish of Inverurie

Transcriber's notes

It would appear that there is confusion with the spelling of Inverurie. The heading has been altered from Inverury to Inverurie.
The reason for the difference is explained in page 35. The Parish name was ordered to be 'Inverury'; the Burgh name was agreed to be 'Inverurie' Col. Cameron R.E. March 9/1869

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Geoffrey M Gill, DANIALSAN

  Location information for this page.