Aberdeenshire volume 30

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info
OS1/1/30/1 FINTRAY Fintray Fintray Fintray Fintray Fintray Fintray Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Ogilvie Fintray Mr. William Warrack, Farmer New Mill Mr. David Milne Teacher New Mill New Statistical Account Johnston's County Map Oliver & Boyd's Almanac 055 ; 065 ; 066 "The name of this parish is supposed to be Gaelic and to signify the fair bank of the river. The parish is situated in that district of the country called Formartin, and extends from five to six miles in length along the north bank of the river Don and from three to four in breadth - containing about fifteen square miles. It is bounded on the south by the river Don, which separates it from the parishes of Dyce, Kinellar, and Kintore; by the parish of Keith-hall on the north and west, and by New Machar on the east. Its shape has some resemblance to that of an Irish harp with the broad end turned to the east." Extract from the Statistical Account of Scotland (Aberdeenshire) page 743. This parish is in a good state of cultivation and possesses a considerable quantity of wood. This past season a large extent of moss has been reclaimed and improved, on the estate of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet]. There is a small village in the parish containing an Inn, Post Office etc, and situated about a mile from Kinaldie Railway Station on the Great North of Scotland line. Proprietors the Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore and Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet]. Note. There is no portion of this Parish detached, nor portion, or portions, of any other parishes enclosed within the boundary of this Parish. The Parish boundary common to Kintore is also the Municipal and Parliamentary Boundary of that Burgh.
OS1/1/30/1 [Page] 1 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/2 [Page] 2 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/3 TILLYKERRIE Tillykerrie Tillykerrie Tillykerrie Tillykeirie Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Estate Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray 055 A large farmsteading in indifferent repair; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/3 [Page] 3 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Tillykerrie'] - "Tilly - Cold, unproductive, Keir - A fortification Ker - The soft Kernel of Suet" (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/4 [Page] 4 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/5 KNAGGAN Knaggan Knaggan Knaggan Mr. William Warrack Factor, Fintray Estate Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/5 BACKWARD Backward Backward Backward Mr. William Warrack. Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbers Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/5 BLAIR Blair Blair Blair Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A large substantial farmsteading with garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/5 [Page] 5 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Knaggan'] "Knag - the name of a bird probably the woodpecker" Knag - A nob. Knaggie - having protruberances." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/6 SEATITON Seatiton Seatiton Seatitown Sittyton Cityton John Ramsay Esq. Straloch Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. Amos Cruickshank, Tenant. Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray. 055 A large substantial farmsteading with garden attached; property of John Ramsay Esq. Straloch.
OS1/1/30/6 [Page] 6 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Seatiton'] "Seat - The manor house on an estate."(Jamieson) Seatiton, is literally the Manor Town. [Initialled] B.R.
OS1/1/30/7 LARCHHILLOCK Larchhillock Larchhillock Larchhillock Lauchhillock Mr. William Warrack Factor, Fintray Estate Mr. James Robertson, Tenant Valuation Roll 1864-5 Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/7 GREENDAMS Greendams Greendams Greendams Mr. David Milne Teacher, Fintray Mr. William Davidson, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/7 LONGSTEPS Longsteps Longsteps Longsteps Mr. David Milne. Mr. James Webster, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/7 [Page] 7 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Larchhillock'] - "Larch - A Species of Fir". "Lauch - English laugh" (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/8 HANGINGBRAE Hangingbrae Hangingbrae Hangingbrae Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Joss, Tenant. Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and offices attached; property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/8 [Page] 8 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/9 NIELSBRAE Neilsbrae Neilsbrae Neilsbrae Neilsbrae Neilsbrae Neilsbrae Nielsbrae Mr. B Mearns occupier. Mr. Webster Newlands Mr. Gray Denmill Mr. W. Warrack Factor Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Map of the Commutation Roads 1834 - In possession of Mr. Warrack 055 A small farm house and Steading with garden attached; the property of Sir. W. Forbes Bart. [Baronet]. Derivation of name unknown.
OS1/1/30/9 [Page] 9 Ph. [Parish] of Fintray [Note relating to 'Nielsbrae'] - "Niel - The abbreviation of Nigel, or rather the abbreviation of Nathaniel, e.g. Nathaniel Gow - commonly written Niel Gow" (Jamieson). See "Kincardine O'Niel". (New Stat Acct. [Statistical Account] P. [Page] 831) I consider "Niel" to be the correct orthography, and have always written it as such on my Plans. [Signed] E.H. Courtney Sapr.R.E. [Sapper Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/10 DENMILL BRIDGE Denmill Bridge Denmill Bridge Denmill Bridge Mr. W. Warrack, Factor Mr. B. Mearns, Neilsbrae Mr. Gray, Denmill 055 A small Stone Bridge of one arch across the New Mill Burn, near the farm of Denmill. And on the road leading from Fintray to Kinmuck - A county Bridge.
OS1/1/30/10 [Page] 10 Ph. [Parish] of Fintray
OS1/1/30/11 CLAYPOTS Claypots Claypots Claypots Mr. William Warrack Factor, Fintray Estate Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/11 WESTER DISBLAIR Wester Disblair Wester Disblair Wester Disblair Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A farmsteading with garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/11 MIDDLETON Middleton Middleton Middleton Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A large substantial farmsteading with garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/11 [Page] 11 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/12 CAUSEWAYEND Causewayend Causewayend Causewayend Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Estate Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A farmhouse with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/12 MIDDLETON OF DISBLAIR Middleton of Disblair Middleton of Disblair Middleton of Disblair Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A large substantial farmsteading with garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/12 RUMMIERAE Rummierae Rummierae Rumirae Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/12 [Page] 12 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Causewayend'] - "Causeway or Causey - A raised road of stones." (Clarke) "Causey or Causay. - A street or road." (Jamieson) [Note relating to 'Middleton of Disblair'] - "Dis - Cold. Blair - A Field". Literally the middle town of the cold field. (Gaelic) [Note relating to 'Rummierae'] - "Rummy - To bellow as Cattle &c. Rae. A Roe, and enclosure for Cattle." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/13 CAIRNTON Cairnton Cairnton Cairnton Mr. William Warrack Factor Fintray Estate Mr. David Milne Teacher, Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A large substantial farmsteading with garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/13 PETTIES Petties Petties Petties Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/13 BOG Bog Bog Bog Westbog. Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A large farmsteading with garden etc. attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/13 [Page] 13 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/14 BROADSHED Broadshed Broadshed Broadshed Mr. William Warrack Factor Fintray Estate. Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/14 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hillhead Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A small farm with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/14 LATCH Latch Latch Latch Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse attached, in indifferent repair; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/14 [Page] 14 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/15 DISBLAIR COTTAGE Disblair Cottage Disblair Cottage Disblair Cottage Mansion House Mr. John Argo. Blackhill Mr. Francis Boyne. Upper Mains Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A good modern mansion with offices. yard. garden. & ornamental ground etc. attached the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/15 BRAKIES CROFT Brakies Croft Brakies Croft Brakies Croft Braikies Croft Mr. John Murdoch. Tenant. Mr. Frances Boyne. Mr. John Argo Valuation Roll. 055 A small dwelling house with out houses, garden etc. attached, also a few acres of land the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/15 LONGBOG Longbog Longbog Longbog Valuation Roll Mr. Francis Boyne. Mr. John Argo 055 An inferior Cottage with outhouses etc. attached also a few acres of land the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns and occupied by Widow Geddes
OS1/1/30/15 [Page] 15 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Brakies Croft'] - "Braik, Break, An instrument used for dressing hemp." Brak, Breaking up. &c. (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/16 BLACKHILL Blackhill Blackhill Blackhill Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. John Argo, Tenant. Mr. Francis Boyne, Upper Mains 055 An ordinary farm house with out houses, garden etc. attached the property of Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns, of Kenniff
OS1/1/30/16 UPPER MAINS Upper Mains Upper Mains Upper Mains Valuation Roll. Mr. Francis Boyne. Tenant. Mr. John Argo. 055 An ordinary farm house with offices. garden etc. attached the property of Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/16 ENDOWED SCHOOL [nr Upper Mains] School (Endowed) School (Endowed) School (Endowed) Mr. Roderick McClennan Schoolmaster Mr. Francis Boyne Mr. John Argo. 055 A Small School house with dwelling house etc. attached. Supported by the interest of £200.0.0 left by the late proprietor the Revd. [Reverend] George Morrison, with a free house etc. This with the Scholars fees makes up the master's Salary. The average number of scholars about 35 and is not connected with any particular church or sect.
OS1/1/30/16 [Page] 16 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/17 FROGHALL Froghall Froghall Froghall Valuation Roll. 1859-60 Mr. Samuel Christie. Tenant. Mr. John Petrie 055 A good farm house with offices garden etc. attached the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/17 DENEND Denend Denend Denend Valuation Roll Mr. John Petrie. Tenant. Mr. Samuel Christie 055 An ordinary farm house with outhouses. garden. etc. attached the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/17 MILL OF CAVIL (Corn) Mill of Cavil (Corn) Mill of Cavil (Corn) Mill of Cavil (Corn) Valuation Roll. Mr. John Argo. Mr. Samuel Christie 055 A good Corn or Meal Mill with dwelling house. offices. garden etc. attached, also a quantity of land. The mill is driven by water power and is the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/17 [Page] 17 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Mill of Cavil (Corn)'] - Cavel, Cavill, Cavil, Cafle, Kavel, Kevil. A rod, or pole, a Staff, a lot," (Jamieson) "To Cavell - To divide by lot." (Ibid)
OS1/1/30/18 BELTSIDE Beltside Beltside Beltside Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. James Webster Mr. James Mathieson Tenant 055 A ordinary Cottage with out houses. garden etc. attached well known by this name. and is the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/18 NORTH-HAUGH North Haugh Northhaugh Northhaugh Northhaugh Valuation Roll. Mr. John Argo. Mr. James Mathieson 055 Four ordinary dwelling houses etc. well known by this name.
OS1/1/30/18 PARKEND Parkend Parkend Parkend Valuation Roll. Mr. George Knight Tenant. Mr. John Argo. 055 An ordinary farm house with outhouses. garden etc. attached the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/18 [Page] 18 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/19 GARDENSHILLOCK Gardenshillock Gardenshillock Gardenshillock Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. Peter Singer. Tenant Mr. Alexander Collie Lairshill 055 An ordinary farm house with offices garden etc. attached the property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/19 LAIRSHILL Lairshill Lairshill Lairshill Valuation Roll. Mr. Alexander Collie. Tenant Mr. Peter Singer 055 A good farm house with excellent offices, yard. garden etc. attached also a new house near this place which is now in course of completion and is to be the occasional residence of the proprietor George Garden Esq.
OS1/1/30/19 WOODSIDE Woodside Woodside Woodside Valuation Roll. Mr. John Adams Mr. Alexander Collie 055 An ordinary farm house with outhouses. garden etc. attached the property of Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns
OS1/1/30/19 [Page] 19 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Lairshill'] - Lair, A Den etc. - (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/20 OLDMILL Oldmill Oldmill Oldmill Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. George Coutts, Tenant Mr. John Adams, Woodside 055 An inferior farm house or Croft with outhouses garden etc. attached the property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns so called from formerly being a Meal Mill prior to the erection of Mill of Cavil.
OS1/1/30/20 BELLFIELD Bellfield Bellfield Bellfield Mr. Robert McGregor, Tenant Rent Receipt Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A small farm house with offices and garden attached, property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/20 [Page] 20 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/21 NEWMILL BURN Newmill Burn Newmill Burn Newmill Burn Mr. James Brown, Greystone, Kinmuck Mr. Peter Innes, Newplace, Kinmuck Mr. James Johnston, Kinmuck 055 A considerable stream which collects from drains near the farm of Newmill in Keith Hall parish and, flowing south-ward, falls into the river Don near Mill of Fintray. For a considerable distance it forms the boundary between the parishes of Fintray and Keith Hall and KinKell.
OS1/1/30/21 NEWLANDS Newlands Newlands Newlands Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray. Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A substantial farmsteading with garden etc. attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/21 WOODSIDE Woodside Woodside Woodside Mr. David Milne Mr. James Ogston, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small croft with garden etc. attached, situated in Skene's Wood. Property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/21 [Page] 21 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/22 GREENLANDS Greenlands Greenlands Greenlands Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Mr. William Cocker, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 Two small farmsteadings with offices and gardens attached, situated close to each other; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore.
OS1/1/30/22 SKENE'S WOOD Skene's Wood Skene's Wood Skene's Wood Mr. David Milne Mr. James Ogston, Woodside Mr. James Rennie, Wester Fintray 055 A large extent of fir wood situated west of the public road between Hatton of Fintray and Inverury and south-west of Balbithan House; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/22 SEGGIEDEN Seggieden Seggieden Seggieden Mr. David Milne Mr. William Shewan, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small farmsteading, with garden etc. attached; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore.
OS1/1/30/22 [Page] 22 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Skene's Wood'] - "Skene - A dirk or knife" (Jamieson.) "Sgian- A knife" (Gaelic) [Note relating to 'Seggieden'] - "Seg - the broad leafed rush" (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/23 AULDLAITHERS Auldlaithers Auldlaithers Auldlaithers Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. Alexander Clark, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A good farmsteading with garden etc. attached; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/23 NEWTON Newton Newton Newton Mr. David Milne. Mr. Peter Brownie, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60. 055 A good farmsteading with garden etc. attached. The tenant when reclaiming a portion of the land on this farm discoverd a number of urns, but all broken, and two stone axes, one of which is in a very good state of preservation - the other has been slightly damaged. Property of Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore.
OS1/1/30/23 CASTLEHUNGRY Castlehungry Castlehungry Castlehunger Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. David Milne. 055 A small farmsteading with garden etc. attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/23 [Page] 23 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Auldlaithers'] - " Auld - old, "Laither - Lazy." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/24 [Page] 24 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/25 CAIRNPARK Cairnpark Cairnpark Cairnpark Cairnpark Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Estate Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray 055 A farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet]. A large Cairn which stood on this farm a short distance north of the house was removed some years ago by the tenant. Nothing now remains to mark its site.
OS1/1/30/25 BERWICK Berwick Berwick Berwick Berwick Mr. William Warrack Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. David Milne 055 A farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/25 CAIRNFIELD Cairnfield Cairnfield Cairnfield Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A croft with dwellinghouse, offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/25 [Page] 25 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/26 SPARMUIR Sparmuir Sparmuir Sparmuir Sparmuir Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Estate Valuation Roll 1859-60. Valuation Roll 1864-5. Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray 055 A farmsteading, with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/26 EAST BOG East Bog East Bog East Bog Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A substantial farmsteading, with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/26 AIKENHEAD Aikenhead Aikenhead Aikenhead Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. Robert Gordon, Fintray 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/26 [Page] 26 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Sparmuir'] - "Spar. - A mineral." (Clarke.)
OS1/1/30/27 HATTONFOLDS Hattonfolds Hattonfolds Hattonfolds Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Estate Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll dated 1864-5 055 A croft with dwellinghouse, offices, and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/27 DAMFOLDS Damfolds Damfolds Damfolds Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse, offices, and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/27 BOGRIFFIE Bogriffie Bogriffie Bogriffie Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A substantial farmhouse with outoffices in a ruinous state; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/27 [Page] 27 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Bogriffie'] - "Bog - A mire or marsh Byfe, Bife, Biffe. - To rive, breakup or plough." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/28 COTBRAE Cotbrae Cotbrae Cotbrae Mr. William Warrack Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon Fintray 055 Two small thatched dwellinghouses in indifferent repair; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/28 COTHILL Cothill Cothill Cothill Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet]. On portions of this farm, from time to time considerable numbers of flint arrowheads have been found.
OS1/1/30/28 MUTTONBRAE Muttonbrae Muttonbrae Muttonbrae Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/28 POSNETT Posnett Posnett Posnett Porsnett. Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/28 [Page] 28 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Posnett'] - Posnett. A skillet, a pan etc. - (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/29 BIRNS Birns Birns Birns Birns Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Estate Valuation Roll 1864-5 Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray 055 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/29 GREENCAIRNS Greencairns Greencairns Greencairns Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/29 GALLOWBRAE Gallowbrae Gallowbrae Gallowbrae Gallowbrae Mr. William Warrack Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 Mr. David Milne, 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/29 [Page] 29 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Birns'] - "Birn - The high part of a farm." (Jamieson.)
OS1/1/30/30 BURNSIDE Burnside Burnside Burnside Burnside Mr. William Warrack Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll dated 1864-5 Valuation Roll dated 1859-60 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse, offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/30 FAIRYHILLOCK Fairyhillock Fairyhillock Fairyhillock Fairyhillock Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Coutts, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. David Milne 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of the Revd. [Reverend] William Mearns.
OS1/1/30/30 OCHIE HILL Ochie Hill Ochie Hill Ochie Hill Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. David Coutts 055 A ridge of elevated land near the east boundary of the parish situated between the farms of Muttonbrae and Birns on the south, and Hillhead and Broadshed on the north. It is about half a mile in extent from west to east and is planted with firs. Property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/30 [Page] 30 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Ochie Hill'] - "Ochon - Lamentation. Oigeach - A young horse". (Gaelic) Oc, or Ock. - Diminutive. Probably - the Little Hill [Initialled] B.R.
OS1/1/30/31 STONE CIRCLES [Ochie Hill] Stone Circles (Sites of supposed) Mr. William Warrack, Newmill, Fintray 055 Two circular banks, certainly artificial, about four feet broad and, from the centre of enclosures two feet high, having an entrance about eight feet wide, and always pointing Southward. At each side of the entrance a stone is placed which is sunk about two feet into the earth and raised one foot. On the western side of the entrance to Circle No. 1. are two stones, not so much raised as those already mentioned but probably as deeply sunk - these with the circular bank have suggested the idea that they may have been stone circles - Except Mr. Warrack's opinion there is no other information in the district. As the field in which Circle No. 1. is placed, is being trenched, this circle will soon be effaced. NB. On my examining this ground on which these "Circles" occur, one of them had been nearly entirely removed, the field having been just trenched, & from the fact that no remains were discovered I would imagine that it was not a "sepulchral" circle but only a "place of worship". The other Circle, I believe to be really one of these Druidical remains, & in this conjecture I am supported by Mr. C.E. Dalrymple, one of the Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries (Scot:) [Scotland] who kindly examined it for me. It is proposed shortly to have a digging at this Circle, when it's character will be more easily arrived at. McKenzie the tenant at Logie (a farm about a mile S.E. [South East] of this place) stated that one of these Circles was called "Cabury" a very Teutonic sounding name indeed, - like "Cadbury Camp" in Somersetshire, &c. &c." [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers], 30th June 1866.
OS1/1/30/31 [Page] 31 Parish of Fintray [Notes relating to 'Stone Circles'] - Note. This will be written on the Plan, when returned to me with Remarks. [Initialled] E.H.C. Since writing my Memo: I have been present at the digging that occurred at these Circles, and there is now no doubt that both are veritable Circles, & in both sepultures have occurred. No urns were found in either, & it is therefore supposed that they are either of a very early type, or that else the clay (composing the urns) was of a bad quality, which has now mixed with the soil. [Initialled] E.H.C. Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] 31st July 1866.
OS1/1/30/32 STONE CELT FOUND HERE [Ochie Hill] Site of Cairn Stone Celt found here Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray 055 A very large Cairn, destroyed a number of years ago, situated a short distance north of Cairnpark farmsteading. It consisted of an immense pile of stones about 20 feet high and 36 feet in diameter. Surrounding this was a wall-like circle of stones about 3 feet high, the whole containing 3'000 Cartloads of stones which have been used for drainage and the erection of stone walls. The only remains found near it was a Stone Axe which the farmer has lost, not considering it of any value.
OS1/1/30/32 [Page] 32 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/33 RED BURN Red Burn Red Burn Red Burn Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Mr. William Rutherford, Moss-side 055 A small stream which rises near the farm of Roadside, and flowing southward, falls into the river Don below Newmill farm. For a short distance it forms the boundary between the parishes of New Machar and Fintray.
OS1/1/30/33 REDBURN Redburn Redburn Redburn Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 055 ; 065 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/33 NORTH FARBURN North Farburn North Farburn North Farburn Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/33 [Page] 33 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/34 ROADSIDE Roadside Roadside Roadside Mr. William Warrack Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/34 GLENBURNIE Glenburnie Glenburnie Glenburnie Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Rent Receipt 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/34 MOSS-SIDE Moss-side Moss-side Moss-side Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. William Rutherford, Tenant 055 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/34 [Page] 34 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Glenburnie'] - "Glenburnie - Literally the Small Burn in the Glen." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/35 CAIRNIE Cairnie Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray 055 A good farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/35 [Page] 35 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Cairnie'] - "Cairny - A bounding with Cairns." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/36 [Page] 36 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/37 BRAE POT Brae Pot For authorities and description of these names See Name Book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/37 HINDLAND POT Hindland Pot For authorities and description of these names See Name Book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/37 REEDBANK POT Reedbank Pot For authorities and description of these names See Name Book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/37 [Page] 37 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Hindland Pot'] - "Pot or Pott. A pit, a dungeon, a pond or pit full of water, a pool or deep place in a river. A deep hole Scooped out in a rock by the eddies of a river. A moss hole from whence peats have been dug. A Shaft or pit in a mine." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/38 WATERSIDE Waterside Waterside Waterside Mr. David Milne Teacher, Fintray Mr. William Simpson, Tenant Mr. James Rennie, Wester Fintray 065 A small farmsteading, with garden etc. attached; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore.
OS1/1/30/38 [Page] 38 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/39 WESTER FINTRAY Wester Fintray Wester Fintray Wester Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Mr. James Rennie, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 065 A very large substantial farmsteading in excellent repair; property of the Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/39 NORTH SUTTIE North Suttie North Suttie North Suttie Mr. Alexander Walker, Tenant. Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr. David Milne 065 A substantial farmsteading with garden etc. attached; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/39 LAMMERBRAE Lammerbrae Lammerbrae Lammerbrae Mr. David Milne Mr. Alexander Walker Mr. George Leith 065 A cottar house in very indifferent repair; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore
OS1/1/30/39 [Page] 39 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'North Suttie'] - "Sute - sweet etc. Sutten - Stunted in growth" (Jamieson) [Note relating to 'Lammerbrae'] - Lammerbrae - Literally Amberbrae. "Lammer - Amber" (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/40 MILL OF FINTRAY Mill of Fintray Mill of Fintray Mill of Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Mr. John Milne, Tenant Valuation Roll 1859-60 065 A substantial farmsteading in excellent repair; property of The Right Hon. [Honourable] the Earl of Kintore.
OS1/1/30/40 MILL OF FINTRAY POT Mill of Fintray Pot For authorities & description See name book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/40 [Page] 40 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Mill of Fintray Pot'] - "Pot - A Pool" See name Sheet for 65-1
OS1/1/30/41 POT KEELLO Pot Keello Pot Keello Pot Keello Pot Keello Pot Keello Pot Killo Mr. George Rae, Turner Kintore Mr. Alexander Shepherd, Carpenter Kintore. Mr. William Rait, Farmer Brae of Kintore. William Davidson Esq. Kintore Mr. Robert Gordon, Shoemaker, Fintray Early History of Kintore. By Alexander Watt, Kintore 065 A pool in the River Don near Kinaldie, a celebrated fishing place. It forms the eastern boundary of the Kintore Burgh Fishings. Derivation of name unknown.
OS1/1/30/41 GA' POT Ga' Pot Ga' Pot Ga' Pot The Daueis Mr. George Rae Mr. Alexander Shepherd Mr. Robert Gordon Plans of Kinellar Parish 065 A pool in the River Don about a quarter of a mile west of "Pot Keello" at a point where the boundary of Fintray Parish crosses the River. The name is supposed to be derived from "Gall" - a man's name - Ga' is the provincial abbreviation of this name. The current of the Don is rather Slow all through its course here.
OS1/1/30/41 THE DAUES POT The Daueis Plans of Kinellar Parish 065 A pool in the River Don about a quarter of a mile west of "Pot Keello" at a point where the boundary of Fintray Parish crosses the River. The name is supposed to be derived from "Gall" - a man's name - Ga' is the provincial abbreviation of this name. The current of the Don is rather Slow all through its course here.
OS1/1/30/41 [Page] 41 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'The Daues Pot'] - "Daue - Listless, inactive". Daw, Da - Sluggish etc. (Jamieson) "Dowie". (Burns) "Or mak our bardie, dowie, wear". (Poor Malie's Elegy.) Burns.
OS1/1/30/42 [Page] 42 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/43 Supposed MOTE HILL [Hatton of Fintray] (Supposed) Mote Hill 065 A small eminence Situated about 1/4 of a mile north east of Hatton of Fintray. Though not very regular in form, this Knoll seems to be artificial. It is not probable from its position and general appearance, that it is a natural feature. The tradition of the district points out this, as a place whereon beacon fires were lighted in olden times, to warn the people of invasion, or approaching danger. An extensive range of Country to the north, and west, can be seen from the summit of this knoll, and it is very probable that this is the origin of the above tradition. Its general appearance and location leads strongly to the supposition that it is one of those artificial erections known to antiquaries as "Mote Hills", and I consider it may be safely written on Plan as "Supposed Mote Hill". [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/43 [Page] 43 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Mote Hill (Supposed)" - "Mote - A little hill, or barrow, or rising ground, a knoll, applied to a little hill, because, anciently conventions were held on eminences." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/44 [Page] 44 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/45 COWSTONES Cowstones Cowstones Cowstones Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 Four cottages with gardens and a portion of land attached, the dwellings of a portion of the servants connected with Fintray House. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/45 HOLYWELL COTTAGE Holywell Cottage Holywell Cottage Holywell Cottage Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 065 A dwellinghouse with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/45 HOLY WELL [Holywell Cottage] Holy Well Holy Well Holy Well Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 A small spring situated a short distance south-east of Holywell Cottage. It is supposed to have supplied the people connected with the Abbey with water. It has originally been built round with stones, but now it is partially filled in and the water it yields is conveyed from the field by a covered drain. [Situation] Abbey page 51
OS1/1/30/45 [Page] 45 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to a crossed out paragraph [written below] of 'Cowstones'] - See (Supposed) Mote Hill {At the west end of, and in the plantation north of this, is a small circular, artificial-looking mound, of which nothing definite is know, but that, as it commands an extensive view of the surrounding country, it may have been used anciently to Kindle beacon fires on, in cases of alarm.
OS1/1/30/46 TEMPLE HILL Temple Hill Temple Hill Temple Hill Mr. William Warrack. Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher, Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant Fintray 065 A small hill situated north of, and elevated considerably above Fintray House, but with very little of a fall towards the public road on the north. It derives its name from an erection which once stood on its summit, consisting of a dome-shaped roof supported on four pillars. Two of the holes in which the pillars were inserted are still to be seen, but why it was erected or for what use is not Known. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/46 HOME FARM Home Farm Home Farm Home Farm Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 A substantial farmsteading in excellent repair; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/46 FINTRAY HOUSE Fintray House Fintray House Fintray House Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 An elegant and substantial mansion-house situated on the north bank of the river Don about a mile from the village of Fintray. It was enlarged in 1830. "A large, elegant and commodious mansion in the Tudor style lately erected by Sir John Forbes, Bart. [Baronet]." Extract from Statistical Account. In Collections on the Shires of Aberdeen and Banff it is named "Lamington, the seat of Forbes of Craigievar, baronnet, a fair house, warmly and pleasantly situated, begun by Sir John, and enlarged by the late Sir William Forbes."
OS1/1/30/46 [Page] 46 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/47 ENDOWED SCHOOL (Girls) [Hatton of Fintray] Female School (Endowed) Female School (Endowed) Female School (Endowed) Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie Minister, Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Mr. William Warrack Factor 065 A small building consisting of a school-room and teacher's residence. Salary derived from bequests from various sources, but confined to the parish of Fintray alone, and the fees of the pupils. Number of scholars about 30.
OS1/1/30/47 HAUGHLAND Haughland Haughland Haughland Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Shand, Tenant 065 A farmsteading in the village of Fintray with offices and garden attached. It is also an Inn. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/47 SCHOOL [Hatton of Fintray] School School School Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie 065 A schoolroom and teachers residence, erected in 1811 and enlarged in 1851. Teachers salary derived from Government and the fees of the pupils. Average number in attendance about 80.
OS1/1/30/47 [Page] 47 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Haughland'] - "Haugh, Hawch, Hauch, Halche. Low Lying flat ground on the border of a river. (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/48 TOLLBOOTH (Remains of) [Fintray] Tolbooth (Remains of) Tolbooth (Remains of) Tolbooth (Remains of) Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon Fintray 065 This building is supposed to have been erected in 1703, and was the place where the proprietors of the Barony of Easter Fintry, designed Logie Fintray, held their court meetings, the manuscript records of which, from 1712 to 1723, are still extant. Subsequently the Gardners Society of Fintray was granted permission by the then proprietor, Sir Arthur Forbes, to hold their meetings in it. After his death, Sir John Forbes, (the late proprietor) withdrew this liberty, but, wishing to have the building removed, granted them the material of the old, to erect a new house. It was accordingly demolished and all that now remains is a small arch which supported an outside staircase leading to the upper storey. This is locally Known as the "Thief's Hole," and was entered by a strong iron door secured by a padlock and is supposed to have been used to lodge prisoners in previous to their trial.
OS1/1/30/48 POST OFFICE [Hatton of Fintray] Post Office Post Office Post Office Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Mr. John Cumming 065 This office has one arrival and one despatch dily. Not a money order office. Major office Aberdeen.
OS1/1/30/48 [Page] 48 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Tollbooth (Remains of)'] - Tolbuthe or Tollbooth. - A prison (Jamieson) "Tollbooth - A Prison" (Clarke)
OS1/1/30/49 RIVER DON River Don River Don River Don Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 "A river in Aberdeenshire which rises in the mountains of Curgarff at the head of Strathdon parish. Its banks are remarkably beautiful and romantic. It receives the Laschel, the Ury, and numerous other streams, and falls ino the German Ocean on the north side of Old Aberdeen, about two miles from the mouth of the Dee. It abounds with trout and its salmon fishings are valuable." Extract from Pocket Gazetteer of Scotland. It forms the southern boundary of Fintary parish, separating it from the parishes of Dyce, Kinellar, and Kintore.
OS1/1/30/49 DONALD'S HILLOCK Donald's Hillock Donald's Hillock Donald's Hillock Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 A very small wooded Knoll situated on the south side of the public road close to the parish school. The origin of the name is unknown. Property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/49 [Page] 49 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'River Don'] - "Don - A favourite, from Hisp. [Hispanic] Don" (Jamieson) Don - Mischief, Evil, Bad, Contemptible etc. (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/50 BOAT OF HATTON Boat of Hatton Boat of Hatton Boat of Hatton Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A farmsteading, with offices and garden attached, situated close to the river Don, at which previous to the construction of the Great North of Scotland Railway, was a ferryboat - hence the name. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/50 GALLOW HILL Gallow Hill Gallow Hill Gallow Hill Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 A small wooded Knoll situated north of, and close to Boat of Hatton farmsteading. When the proprietors of the barony held the power of life and death in their hands, it was on this spot that criminals were executed. A skull was found here by the farmer during the construction of a road round the base of the Knoll to give easier access to the adjoining fields. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/50 EGYPTIAN POT Egyptian Pot Egyptian Pot Egyptian Pot Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 Originally a deep pool, but now filled in and containing no water except during floods, when the waters of the river Don sometimes reach it. Used in connection with Gallow Hill for the execution of criminals and to test the guilt or innocence of supposed witches. Situated west of Boat of Hatton Farm and near the junction of a small stream with the river Don.
OS1/1/30/50 [Page] 50 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/51 Site of ABBEY [Fintray] (Site of) Abbey (Site of) Abbey (Site of) Abbey Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon Fintray Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie, Minister Fintray 065 The late minister (Mr. Leslie) "when improving his glebe dug up the foundations of some buildings, supposed to have belonged to the Abbacy of Lindores in Fife; a branch of which is said to have stood where the principal burying ground of this parish now is. The buildings (denominated the Northern Abbey) are supposed to have been erected about the year 1386, from a stone bearing that date having been observed many years ago in in the dike of the burying ground, which had probably been composed of fragments of the demolished abbey, whereof no vestige now remains above the surface of the ground; but the foundations of its walls occasionally interrupt the digging of graves." Extract from Statistical Account. The "church of Fintray" belonged to the Abbacy of Lindores at a period long previous to the supposed date of erection of the "Northern Abbey", as Earl David, brother of King William of Scotland, granted to the abbey for its use the church of Londors and the church of Fintray, (de Fintrith) amongst many others, by a charter dated A.D. 1202. "The proprietor of the lands of Fintray collects and pays to the Exchequer the feu-duties which belonged to the Abbacy of Lindores, - several of the landed estates in this part of the country holding of said Abbacy and paying feu-duty thereto." Extract from Statistical Account.
OS1/1/30/51 HATTON BRIDGE Hatton Bridge Hatton Bridge Hatton Bridge Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon, Fintray Rev. [Reverend] William Ogilvie, Parish Clergyman 065 A bridge across the River Don at Boat of Hatton, previous to the erection of which a ferryboat carried people across, which gave rise to the Name - Boat of Hatton.
OS1/1/30/51 [Page] 51 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/52 CHURCH (Remains of) [Hatton of Fintray] Church (Remains of) Church (Remains of) Church (Remains of) Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie, Minister Fintray 065 This church was "built by Sir William Forbes of Craigievar A.D. 1703, but which I cannot say is consecrated. This new church has an isle for this family, wherein there is also a room for their use, and again within it, a hearth and cupboard etc. so that people may eat and drink, and even smoak in it if they will." Extract from Collections on the Shires of Aberdeen and Banff. The west gable, surmounted by a belfry, is all that now remains of this church, the remainder of the material having been used in the erection of the present church. Close to the north wall of the church "a vault of extraordinary strength was built a few years ago (in 1830) by the parishioners, to secure dead bodies from resurrectionists; from whence, after remaining perhaps three months or more, the bodies are removed and regularly interred." Extract from Statistical Account. This vault still exists, but has not been used for many years.
OS1/1/30/52 ABBEY COTTAGE Abbey Cottage Abbey Cottage Abbey Cottage Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie 065 A neat and substantial cottage, situated a short distance east of the church; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/52 [Page] 52 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/53 HATTON OF FINTRAY Hatton of Fintray Hatton of Fintray Hatton of Fintray Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie, Minister Fintray 065 A small village situated on the north bank of the river Don and at the south end of the parish of Fintray. It contains two schools, an Inn and a Post Office. The houses are principally one storey, in height and in very good repair. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet] In "Extracts from Collections on the Shires of Aberdeen and Banff," the "Chapel of Saint Giles in Hatton" is mentioned. No information whatever can be gleaned respecting this; the name itself is not Known to any person now living in the village. A few chains west of the School is a small graveyard said to have been consecrated by Bishop Elphinstone, founder of King's College, Aberdeen, some time in the beginning of the sixteen century
OS1/1/30/53 MANSE [Hatton of Fintray] Manse Manse Manse Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie 065 A large and substantial building of two storeys, situated a short distance west of the church. Erected in 1821.
OS1/1/30/53 [Page] 53 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Hatton of Fintray'] - "Ha'ton - the Manor Town or House." (Jamieson) "Fine - A tribe or family. Fian - A Fingalian. Fionntaidh - Fingalians "Tràigh - (pronounced tray) the Shore or beach." (Gaelic)
OS1/1/30/54 BROWNHILL Brownhill Brownhill Brownhills Broomhill Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1859-60 Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A substantial farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/54 HARESTONES Harestones Harestones Harestones Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/54 CHURCH [N of Hatton of Fintray] Church Church Church Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Revd. [Reverend] William Ogilvie. 065 A neat substantial building situated on the rising ground a short distance north of the village of Fintray. "Built in 1821. It would accomodate nearly 800 persons." Extract from Statistical Account.
OS1/1/30/54 [Page] 54 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Harestones'] - "Hare, Rough, Shaggy etc." "Hair - A small portion" (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/55 CHAPEL GRAVEYARD [Hatton of Fintray] Chapel Graveyard Chapel Graveyard Chapel Graveyard Chapel Graveyard Mr. William Warrack, Newmill, Fintray Mr. Robert Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. Cumming, Merchant Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon, Shoemaker Fintray 065 A small burying-ground in Hatton of Fintray, on the south side of the road near Haughland. It was consecrated by Bishop Elphinstone in the fifteenth century. Mr. Gordon supposes from the name, that a chapel stood here; Mr. Cumming is of a different opinion because the foundation of no building has ever been touched upon when digging graves. Where the Chapel stood which gave the graveyard its name is unknown.
OS1/1/30/55 Supposed Site of ST GILES'S CHAPEL Supposed Site of St Giles's Chapel Supposed Site of St Giles's Chapel Mr. Cumming, Merchant Fintray Mr. Robert Gordon, Shoemaker Fintray 065 "Fintray hath for its tutelar St. Giles." Chappel - *"St. Giles in Hatton, where the Abbot of Lindoris had formerly a Summer Seat." (Collections on the Shires of Aberdeen & Banff P [Page] 245) *It is evident from the above quotation that a chapel existed hereabouts dedicated to St Giles, and the name "Chapel Graveyard" would lead to the supposition that this chapel stood in this spot. I consider therefore that it may be safely written on Plan, as "Supposed site of St. Giles's Chapel." [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/55 [Page] 55 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/56 [Page] 56 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/57 GREAT NORTH OF SCOTLAND RAILWAY Great North of Scotland Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 A single line of rails for passenger and goods traffic, between Aberdeen and Inverness.
OS1/1/30/57 BLACKBURN POT Blackburn Pot For authorities and description See name Sheets of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/57 [Page] 57 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Blackburn Pot'] - "Pot - A Pool" See name Sheet 65-1
OS1/1/30/58 [Page] 58 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/59 GARTHY Garthy Garthy Garthy Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 Two dwellinghouses with gardens attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/59 MOSS-SIDE Moss-side Moss-side Moss-side Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A substantial farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/59 WOODHILL Woodhill Woodhill Woodhill Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1859-60 065 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/59 [Page] 59 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Garthy'] - "Garth - An enclosure." (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/60 ROSEVILLA Rosevilla Rosevilla Rosevilla Mr. William Warrack Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/60 LOGIE FARM Logie Farm Logie Farm Logie Farm Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A substantial farmsteading, with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/60 NEWMILL Newmill Newmill Newmill Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A substantial farmsteading with offices and garden attached, tenanted by Mr. William Warrack factor. There is also a meal mill here; motive power, water. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/60 [Page] 60 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/61 EAST HILLHEAD East Hillhead East Hillhead East Hillhead Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A small farmsteading with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/61 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hillhead Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A small farmsteading, with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/61 [Page] 61 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/62 [Page] 62 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/63 HEUGH-HEAD Heugh-head Heugh-head Heugh-head Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A small croft with dwellinghouse, offices, and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/63 FAIMIEWELL POT Faemiewell Pot Faemiewell Pot Faemiewell Pot Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. Robert Gordon, Fintray 065 A very deep pool in the river Don, at a bend opposite the Mill of Dyce. The public road runs along the top of the high, precipitous bank of the river here, and was left unprotected until some person fell over and was drowned, after which the present wooden railing was erected. It is reported that several persons have been drowned here.
OS1/1/30/63 FAIMIEWELL COTTAGE Faemiewell Cottage Faemiewell Cottage Faemiewell Cottage Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A neat cottage on the north side of the public road above Faemiewell Pot, from which it derives its name. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/63 [Page] 63 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Heugh-head'] - "Heuch, Heugh, Hewch, Huwe, Heve, Hew, - A crag, A Steep hill, a bank, a glen with Steep overhanging braes, etc. etc. (Jamieson) [Note relating to 'Faimiewell Pot'] - "faimie - foamy" (Jamieson) "Phemia - An abbreviation of Euphemia." (Jamieson) Literally - The foamywell Pot - as it is well known that foam, brought down by a rapid stream, rests on the bosom of a pool or Pot. [Note relating to 'Faimiewell Cottage'] - The derivation of this word is self evident, and I have adopted Faimiewell as the correct orthographical prefix to these objects. [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/64 LOGIE WOOD Logie Wood Logie Wood Logie Wood Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 A large wood on the rising ground above Cothal Mills, consisting of beech, ash, and fir; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet]
OS1/1/30/64 COTHAL HOUSE Cothal House Cothal House Cothal House Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A commodious dwellinghouse of two storeys tenanted by Mr. Pedelty. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/64 COTHAL MILLS (Yarn) Cothal Mills Cothal Mills Cothal Mills Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll 1864-5 065 A large pile of buildings situated close to the river Don. Originally there was a meal mill here and subsequently, when the greater portion of the houses were erected, the manufacture of woollen cloth was carried on; now yarn is the only production. Motive power water. Contiguous to the mill there are a considerable number of dwellinghouses inhabited by the mill workers. Property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/64 [Page] 64 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/65 Ruins of ST MEDDAN'S CHURCH (Supposed) Church (Ruins of) Church (Ruins of) Church (Ruins of) Mr. William Warrack, Factor Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant Fintray 065 This church is situated in the centre of a small graveyard on the north bank of the river Don a short distance west of Cothal Mills. The space inclosed by the walls, which are still standing and kept in good repair, is the burying ground of the Craigievar family. The date of its erection is not known but it must have been previous to 1633, as a silver cup in possession of the present minister seems to indicate. It bears the following inscription and date, "Holie Communion, Fintray, 1633. Revd. [Reverend] Adam Barclay, Minister". There is a tradition in the district that the metal of which this cup is composed was originally in the form of a *skull which was believed to possess the power of averting impending storms, and was for that purpose carried aloft through the district by the priests of the time. "The minister has in his possession a silver cup belonging to the parish, bearing date 1632, which, tradition says, was formed from a *Silver head of St. Meddan, the tutelar saint of the parish, which in the days of Popish Superstition was wont to be carried through the parish in procession, for the purpose of bringing down rain, or clearing up the weather, as circumstances might require." Collections on the Shires of Aberdeen & Banff P. [Page] 245. New Stat [Statistical] Account Page 168. * Note. There can be no doubt about the above being the ruins of a Church, and the possession of the silver relic coupled with the tradition regarding it, above-mentioned, lead to a very strong supposition that this Church was dedicated to St. Meddan. All the early Churches were dedicated, and it is more than probable that the "Silver Head of St. Meddan" would be kept in "St. Meddan's" Church. [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/65 MANSE (Site of) [Nr St Medden's Church] Manse (Site of) Manse (Site of) Manse (Site of) Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 No vestige of this building now remains. It was demolished a number of years ago and a portion of the material used in the erection of Oldmanse. Its site now forms a portion of the garden of this place.
OS1/1/30/65 [Page] 65 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/66 OLDMANSE Oldmanse Oldmanse Oldmanse Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray Mr. David Milne, Teacher Fintray Mr. John Cumming, Merchant, Fintray 065 A commodious and substantial farm house with offices and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes. Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/66 LOGIE Logie Logie Logie Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Mr. John Cumming 065 This name is applied to a small thatched house, all that now remains of what was originally the principal village in the Barony of Logie. A small piece of rough ground marks the site of a number of the houses. Property of Sir William Forbes. Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/66 WELLFOLD Wellfold Wellfold Wellfold Mr. William Warrack Mr. David Milne Valuation Roll !864-5 065 A small croft with dwellinghouse and garden attached; property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/66 [Page] 66 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Logie'] - "Logie. A vacuity before the fireplace of a kiln for drawing air. Log - (Belgian) a hole. (Jamieson)
OS1/1/30/67 BERRY HILLOCH Berry Hilloch Berry Hilloch Mr. William Warrack, Newmill, Fintray Mr. James McKenzie, Farmer, Logie Farm 065 A very small wooded Knoll east of Logir Farm. Derivation of name unknown. Property of Sir William Forbes, Bart. [Baronet] Fintray House
OS1/1/30/67 EAGLE PLANTATION Eagle Plantation Eagle Plantation Eagle Plantation Mr. William Warrack Mr. James McKenzie Lease papers of Logie Farm 065 A small plantation of fir wood near the river Don, southeast of Logie Farm. Property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet] Fintray House.
OS1/1/30/67 [Page] 67 Parish of Fintray
OS1/1/30/68 [Page] 68 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/69 MIMRIKINS CLUMP Mimrikin's Clump Mimrikin's Clump Mimrikin's Clump Mr. William Warrack, Newmill, Fintray Mr. McKenzie, Farmer Logie Farm Lease papers of Logie Farm 065 A circular plantation immediately west of Logie Farm, containing the site of a supposed Stone Circle. property of Sir William Forbes Bart. [Baronet].
OS1/1/30/69 Site of STONE CIRCLES [Mumrikins Clump] (Site of Supposed) Stone Circle Mr. William Warrack 065 A circular bank, evidently artificial about four feet broad and, from the centre of the enclosure, two feet high, having an entrance about eight feet wide pointing in a south-west direction. Unlike the two at Cothill farm, this supposed circle has no stones near it, and Mr. Warrack's opinion is the only authority. Note. There are two enclosures here. [Initialled] E.H.C. Mr. Dalrymple F.S.A. (Scot:) [Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland] was good enough to lend me his aid in ascertaining whether these were veritable circles or not; he came to the conclusion that they were, though whether sepulchral or not, he could not possibly say. In a letter to me on the subject, he writes; - "The enclosures at "Mimrikin's Clump" are very curious, and as far as my experience goes, one of them is unique, being a well-defined semi-circle enclosed by a low vallum. There are some few large stones dotted on the said vallum, & my impression is that there have been more, placed probably with some degree of regularity, thus; [insertion of drawing depicting previous description]. I say "probably", because I have seen, more than once, the stones of "Druids Circles" placed on a low mound running round the circle." It is proposed before long to have a digging at these places. [Signed] E.H. Courtney. Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] 30th June 1866. P.S. On digging, these Circles have been found to be sepulchral, but no urns were found in them, either from the clay having mixed with the soil, or from the Circles being of a primitive, & very early type. [Initialled] E.H.C. Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] 31/7/66. [1866]
OS1/1/30/69 [Page] 69 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Site of Stone Circles'] - Note. This will be written on the Plan when returned with Remarks. [Initialled] E.H.C
OS1/1/30/70 [Page] 70 Parish of Fintray Blank page
OS1/1/30/71 DALWEARY POT Dalweary Pot For authorities and description See name book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/71 SLAUGHTER HEAD Slaughter Head For authorities and description See name book of adjoining Parish. 065
OS1/1/30/71 [Page] 71 Parish of Fintray [Note relating to 'Dalweary Pot'] - "Pot - A Pool." See name sheet 65-1
OS1/1/30/72 [Page] 72 Parish of Fintray [Signed] E.H. Courtney Capt.R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/30/73 30 OS1/1/30/ 73 NAME BOOK of the PARISH OF FINTRAY Co. [County] ABERDEEN [Stamped] ORDNANCE SURVEY M.S. STORE SOUTHAMPTON 16 APR. 95 [1895]
OS1/1/30/74 [Page] 74 INDEX PARISH of FINTRAY. COUNTY of ABERDEEN Names -- Page Auldlaithers -- 23 Aikenhead -- 26 Abbey Cottage -- 52 Backward -- 5 Blair -- 5 Burn of Shaloch -- 8 Bog -- 13 Broadshed -- 14 Brakies Croft -- 15 Blackhill -- 16 Beltside -- 18 Bellfield -- 20 Berwick -- 25 Bogriffie -- 27 Birns -- 29 Burnside -- 30 Brae Pot -- 37 Boat of Hatton -- 50 Brownhill -- 54 Blackburn Pot -- 57 Berry Hillock -- 67 Claypots -- 11 Causewayend -- 12 Cairnton -- 13 Castlehungry -- 23 Cairnpark -- 25 Cairnfield -- 25 Cotbrae -- 28 Cothill -- 28 Cairnie -- 35 Cowstones -- 45 Church (Remains of) 1703 -- 52 Church -- 54 Chapel Graveyard -- 55 Cothal House -- 64 Cothal Mills (Yarn) -- 64 Denmill Bridge -- 10 Disblair Cottage -- 15 Denend -- 17 Damfolds -- 27 Donald's Hillock -- 49 Dalweary Pot -- 71 Endowed School -- 16 East Bog -- 26 Endowed School (Girls) -- 47 Egyptian Pot -- 50 East Hillhead -- 61 Eagle Plantation -- 67 Fintray -- 1 Froghall -- 17 Fairyhillock -- 30 Fintray House -- 46 Faimiewell Pot -- 63 Faimiewell Cottage -- 63 Greendams -- 7 Gardenshillock -- 19 Greenlands -- 32 Greencairns -- 29 Gallowbrae -- 29 Glenburnie -- 34 Gallow Hill -- 50 Great North of Scotland Railway -- 57 Garthy -- 59 Hangingbrae -- 6 Hillhead -- 14 Hattonfolds -- 27 Hindland Pot .. 27 Holywell Cottage -- 45 Holy Well -- 45 Home Farm -- 46 Haughland -- 47 Hatton Bridge -- 61 Hatton of Fintray -- 53 Harestones -- 54 Hillhead -- 61 Heugh-head -- 63 Knaggan -- 5 Larchhillock -- 7 Longsteps -- 7 Latch -- 14 Longbog -- 15 Lairshill -- 19 Lammerbrae -- 39 Logie Farm -- 60 Logie Wood -- 64 Logie -- 66 Middleton -- 11 Middleton of Disblair -- 12 Mill of Cavil (Corn) -- 17 Muttonbrae -- 28 Moss-side -- 34 Mill of Fintray -- 40 Mill of Fintray Pot -- 40 Manse -- 53 Moss-side -- 59 Manse (Site of) -- 65 Mimrikins Clump -- 69 Neilsbrae -- 9 North-haugh -- 18 Newmill Burn -- 21 Newlands -- 21 Newton --23 North Farburn -- 33 North Suttie -- 39 Newmill -- 60 Oldmill -- 20 Ochie Hill -- 30 Oldmanse -- 66 Petties -- 13 Parkend -- 18 Posnett -- 28 Pot Keello -- 41 Post Office -- 48 Rummierae -- 12 Red Burn -- 33 Redburn -- 33 Roadside -- 34 Reedbank Pot -- 37 River Don -- 49 Rosevilla -- 60 Ruins of St. Meddan's Church (supposed) -- 65 Seatiton -- 6 Skene's Wood -- 32 Seggieden -- 22 Sparmuir -- 26 Stone Circles -- 31 Supposed Mote Hill -- 43 School -- 65 Site of Abbey -- 51 Supposed Site of St Giles's Chapel -- 55 Slaughter Head -- 71 Supposed site of Stone Circles -- 69 Site of Cairn -- 32 Stone Celt found here -- 32 Tillykerrie -- 3 The Daues or Ga' Pot -- 41 Temple Hill -- 46 Tollbooth (Remains of) -- 48 Upper Mains -- 16 Wester Disblair -- 11 Woodside -- 19 Woodside -- 21 Waterside -- 38 Wester Fintray -- 39 Woodhill -- 29 Wellfold -- 66