Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

HH62/2/STIRLI/59

Transcription

COUNTY COUNCIL OF STIRLING.

EASTERN DISTRICT.

REPORT BY MEDICAL OFFICER OF HEALTH,
FOR YEAR 1891.

This is the smallest but most populous of the three Districts
into which the County has been divided under the Local Govern-
ment Act.
It forms an irregular oblong figure, of which the four corners
point pretty nearly to the four points of the compass. The north-
east side is bounded by the Firth of Forth, the south-east by
Linlithgowshire, the north-west by Central Stirlingshire, and the
south-west by Dunbartonshire (detached) and Lanarkshire. The
extreme length from north to south is fifteen miles, and the
extreme breadth from east to west about thirteen miles. The
Burgh of Falkirk is situated almost in the centre of the District,
and the Burgh of Grangemouth on the north-east boundary. The
District, as shown by Table II. of the County Report (p. 14), con-
tains the parishes of Airth, Larbert, Bothkennar, Polmont, Falkirk,
Muiravonside, and Slamannan. Including the burghs its total
acreage is 51,302, and its population at last year's census 59,375.
Exclusive of Falkirk and Grangemouth the population at the
census was 36,235. In 1881 the District contained 21 villages,
each with a population of from 300 to 2000, and 2 towns with over
2000 inhabitants. These were as follows:-

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator