System Outage

We are migrating the servers that support this website to a new platform. Service will be affected for some time. Further information is available here.

OS1/5/10/29A

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH Church

Church

Church
Andrew Wilson
Coldingham
John Johnston
Coldingham
Mr Thomas Renton
Coldingham
005.12 [Situation] At the end of the village of Coldingham about one chain north from King Edgar's Walls
A large oblong building, having a neat newly built southern porch, surmounted by a small Belfry with a small Bell with in it. The north side, and east end are part of the old Priory Church but, the west end and south side have been rebuilt, and the "Church" completely renovated at an expense of about £1800 Government giving about £800, and the Heritors taxing themselves for about £1000- There are sittings for about 365 all of which belong to the Heritors. It was dedicated to St [Saint] Mary-
CHARIOT ROAD Chariot Road
Chariot Road
Chariot Road
Andrew Wilson
John Johnston
Mr Thomas Renton
005.12 [Situation] About six chains north from the Church
This is said to be a portion of the old carriage road leading from the Priory to Coldingham Sands; the fences on each side still remain, but the road itself, has been converted into arable land. Its original course from the abby cannot be traced

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 29a Coldingham Parish Sheet 5 No 12 Trace 1

The parish church is supposed to have been built in the 12th century and has been frequently repaired but never enlarged.
Fullerton's Gazeteer

Transcriber's notes

In Descriptive remarks for "Chariot Road" the word "abbey" appears to have been misspelt as "abby".

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

ron hill

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.